Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A season of firsts for my son.

utah400elk

2018 is turning into a season of firsts for my son (and myself). I moved to Florida in 2017 for work. I was worried it would happen my hunting and the lifelong mentoring that goes along with being a dad.

To start the season we drew an alligator tag. We of course decided to go DIY. We watched several U-tube videos and read everything we could find. Our first season was late August. My son was a little timid to start. He is now ten and hunting gators was a big adventure. We were able to get one on the line but he didn’t want to have anything to do with the fishing rod (snatch hook). We were able to safety release the first gator. It turned out to be a small 5 1/2 foot gator and it was a blast.

We went back in mid September with a little experience under our belts.

This trip I pushed him to use the rod and reel. He was excited but a bit of a soup sandwich. Gear went everywhere but he had a blast and with help we brought another small gator to the boat. We let him go and went looking for a bigger one.

The next he reeled in all by himself and really wanted to tag this one. It was about 6 1/2 foot but he did everything by himself. I couldn’t say No. one gator on the boat.

We both fumbled our way through the skinning process. It was different but we learned and had a good time.
Next up was deer season.

(The view from our stand)
I was lucky enough to draw a muzzleloader tag. In Florida, he can hunt with my tag and any buck (with one antlers longer than 5 inch) is legal for kids under 16. I figured a bit of father son time in the stand would be fun and good for us. Well about 8:00 this morning a deer comes in about 20 yards out. It is a little buck. We had seen much bigger in the area on trail cam but the bird in the hand theory comes into play. I handed my son the muzzleloader and it was a bit of chaos. He couldn’t get the buck in the scope and was making a bit of noise. The buck started to run off. I made a few quick deer calls and it stopped to look back. As it was running my son said “now I see it”. The buck stopped to look back and my son was on him. We later learned that he made a perfect shot. As the smoked cleared the buck was running off. I looked at my son and he had a big smile and said “I think I got him”. Then said “I aimed right where you taught me”. I looked back at the buck and saw him wobble then go down about 80 yards after the shot. The look on my son’s face was priceless.

Two first within about a month. We still have a month of deer season (rifle next) the wild hog tag.

Just a very proud dad and wanted to brag a bit.

Attachments

• Deer 2.JPG
    Deer 2.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Deer 3.JPG
    Deer 3.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 376
  • Deer 1..JPG
    Deer 1..JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 375
  • Gator Skin.jpg
    Gator Skin.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Keeper.jpg
    Keeper.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Shining.jpg
    Shining.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 2nd attempt.jpg
    2nd attempt.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Congratulations to your son. No better time spent hunting than with your kids.

No photos showing for me right now.

trying to update the photos...

These are also a few of the deer in the area. Nice for Florida public ground.

Sorry, I can't seem to rotate the pictures.

Attachments

• end result.jpg
    end result.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 377
  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 378
Thanks for help with the photos. It was kicking my butt a bit. My son is growing up on hunt talk. We are having a blast and he is learning that there always something to do outdoors hunting and or fishing. Getting ready for elk hunts with him in the next couple of years. I was shocked to see him shoulder a full charge on the muzzleloader and never flinch. That was 75 grains (volume) BH 209 and a 460 grain no-excuse bullet. Not bad for a 10Year old. It’s my elk load.

He wants to try shark and tarpon next year locally.

Congrats to you and your son! Sounds like yall are making the best of the move.

Whats the reason for the wild hog tag?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back