Hunting Float/Raft trip suggestions

bisblue

Hey folks,

My wife and I were talking about some cool trips we should take. We have a year and half old toddler and I suggested a hunting float trip. We are both really outdoorsy, she's a skier, backpacker, biologists, I do the same and rock climb a ton...

We've done some rafting but not a lot. Any general places come to mind that would be good areas for a hunting float trip? I'd be hunting and packing solo back to camp, so something like mule deer would be great. I'd say 5-8 days for a float. We live in Vegas, but are willing to travel.

I'm mainly looking to fill the freezer not shoot a trophy and find somewhere where I can draw a tag fairly easy. Preferably not a season in crazy cold weather with the little guy. Archery, rifle, muzzleloader doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

I can't speak from personal experience, but I have been looking at multiple day float trips on the Salmon River in Idaho. I have been looking at it from the fly-fishing perspective, but, the outfitters might do hunting as well.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I have been looking at multiple day float trips on the Salmon River in Idaho. I have been looking at it from the fly-fishing perspective, but, the outfitters might do hunting as well.

Sounds like a great place. I was a climbing ranger in Southern Idaho for a while.

We're looking to do it DIY since the park ranger salary is somewhat limited.

If you would like to hunt whitetails there's some islands on the Yellowstone ( check for ones that are state or BLM) that can be a lot of fun. I haven't done it , but I would think checking out the Missouri, up in the breaks country would be worthwhile also and more kind of an adventure thing. Yellowstone is more easy kind of country. Fishing can be real good in the fall too.

Couple things do you have your own boat, I'm assuming with a kiddo you want to go when it's warm, also you probably want pretty mellow rivers?

If that's the case I might look at sections of the Powder River (flat water, general season deer tag, season starts in early Oct.), Colorado River in CO (Co has a muzzleloader season that you could look into), Green river in Utah (lots of mellow sections not sure about hunting opportunities),
Gallatin/Yellowstone/Missouri/Madison in Montana are all pretty mellow and it's easy to get a tag... may be a bit cold by rifle season.

I've canoed most of these rivers, and hunted a few PM me and I can give you a some specifics.

Last edited:
I would venture to say that the king of all rafting trips would be the Smith River in Montana. But, good luck drawing a permit, or getting a spot reserved, or coming up with the $4K+ for the trip.
BUT, if you ever can, do it.

This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Watch the new season of MeatEater on Netflix. They do a float trip on the Colorado River and Rinella shoots a monster buck. They don't dwell on the river aspect, but in true Meateater fashion they eat up some trout on the banks. In the next couple of years I'd like to make this trip happen with a couple of friends. Probably do a 2nd rifle hunt deer in one of the GMU's west of Kremmling, CO (35 and 36 come to mind). As a resident I think those units can be drawn with 0-1 points. Not sure as a nonresident. Hope you make this trip a reality and I'd like to hear about it!

This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Watch the new season of MeatEater on Netflix. They do a float trip on the Colorado River and Rinella shoots a monster buck. They don't dwell on the river aspect, but in true Meateater fashion they eat up some trout on the banks. In the next couple of years I'd like to make this trip happen with a couple of friends. Probably do a 2nd rifle hunt deer in one of the GMU's west of Kremmling, CO (35 and 36 come to mind). As a resident I think those units can be drawn with 0-1 points. Not sure as a nonresident. Hope you make this trip a reality and I'd like to hear about it!

That episode is hilarious, not exactly a wilderness hunt lol... but yeah he managed to pull out a decent buck.

I saw that episode, based on the lights in the background I was wondering if they'd finish the river trip and we're hunting closer to civilization. Editing can do some miracle things

Salmon River or Henry's Fork in Idaho. Mostly whitetails on the Henry's Fork, muleys on the Salmon. I float and hunt/fish them quite a bit. Went 2 days last week and I'll do another 2-3 days next week. You will see a lot of wildlife, usually good fishing too. OTC tags, more private land along Henry's Fork, BLM on Salmon. Drift boat or inflatable can work. Mostly flat water in most stretches. Just see deer from the boat or very short hikes from the bank. Pm me for more details if you want.

Salmon River or Henry's Fork in Idaho. Mostly whitetails on the Henry's Fork, muleys on the Salmon. I float and hunt/fish them quite a bit. Went 2 days last week and I'll do another 2-3 days next week. You will see a lot of wildlife, usually good fishing too. OTC tags, more private land along Henry's Fork, BLM on Salmon. Drift boat or inflatable can work. Mostly flat water in most stretches. Just see deer from the boat or very short hikes from the bank. Pm me for more details if you want.
^^^this guy knows his stuff^^^

I saw that episode, based on the lights in the background I was wondering if they'd finish the river trip and we're hunting closer to civilization. Editing can do some miracle things

They were hunting about 10miles from my childhood home, the mashed up a bunch of shots so it made it look like they were way out from civilization but they were about 1.2-2 miles from the highway. I drove by the kill site on my way to work every morning for years.

Last edited:
Probably do a 2nd rifle hunt deer in one of the GMU's west of Kremmling, CO (35 and 36 come to mind). As a resident I think those units can be drawn with 0-1 points. Not sure as a nonresident.

My nephew and I did a 2nd rifle float hunt on the Colorado last year. We had seen decent deer numbers on summer floats and he and my BIL had done the same trip in 2016. While we had a blast and the fishing was great - It was too early (at least it was in our stretch - which wasn't terribly far from where the Meateater crew were) and the deer densities were low. Watching that episode made me a little jealous, tbh :)

In a "normal" weather year it has promise (i.e. - I wouldnt mind being out there right now), but of course floating gets a little dicey the later you go.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back