Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

1st antelope

Levajo

33429452-57A1-4348-859D-120C092776B8.jpg
After moving out to MT from IL I finally was able to get residency and could afford more tags. Received a tip from a fellow member on here on where to go and loaded up my wife and daughter in the car and drove from Belgrade to far east side of region 7 and picked up my dad at the billings airport. Was unable to scout the night before opener and wasn't able to secure access for the BMA until the next morning. The pressure was on because my wife only was going to allow me that mornings hunt. After 1 unsuccessful stalk I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. My dad was very unimpressed with the number of goats we were seeing. He was unable to walk with me on the 1st stalk since he has a heart that is in severe shape and cant walk long distances very fast or up any sort of elevation at all. So when I got back to the truck he had accidentally drained my battery in my truck......with no cell service and having not seen another vehicle pass by since we parked which was over an hour I pulled up onx and was looking for the nearest farm which was over 3 miles away.....I just laughed and was thankful for the time I was able to have hunting with my dad. Just as I began to walk, a truck came along and gave us a jump. We drove to another spot and I spotted a loan goat bedded out in this field and quickly drove to where the farmer lived secured access and sped back to the field and stalked up to within 250yds which offered a fairly easy shot. My dad was able to watch the whole stalk from the road and helped me butcher it. He decided he is going to apply for an antelope tag next year! (I was wearing orange when i took the shot and then walked back to truck to get my dad and shed some layers at the truck before walking out to the goat)

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks like a nice one. Need more details (where, how, etc)

Great job and great timing for the helpful passerby! There is always a chance in rural America that what would be a mere vehicular annoyance along a street in a city is a much more serious issue. Flats, dead batteries, alternators that crap out, mud holes that trap your rig, etc, can screw up things when out in the boonies. Glad it worked out so well. Let your family know if they are looking to get you gifts during the next few months that a set of tire chains, a portable jump starter/compressor and tire plug kit would bring a smile to your face.

Congrats! Glad you Dad was there to share the experience. Father/son (and now daughters) outdoors adventures have a special place in my heart.

Great write up. Glad you connected on a pronghorn & that you got to spend time with your dad. Well done!

Great perspective on your experience! Can't say that laughing would have been the first thing out of my mouth if my old man ran my truck dead. Good on you and glad it worked out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back