Caribou Gear

back pack for 67 year old after back surgeries

oleefish2

Is there a back pack out there that I might use. I have had 3 surgeries on my lower back and do good walking and with a light pack but have hip pain when trying to carry a larger load. I still like getting away from the road but I have been having to depend on others help and would like to carry more of my share. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have also had 3 lower back surgeries and I use Eberlestock packs. With my rifle in the scabbard I cinch the waist strap tight and then the shoulder straps and chest strap. The weight in the pack is supported by your hips and the shoulder straps hold your back straight in combination with the rifle in the scabbard. My hands are free to use trekking poles which really helps with balance and slips and falls.

Works for me.

L5 surgery for me back in ‘91. I am now 61. Last year I did a backpack hunt, 50pds of gear. I use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It fits my back and also adds support. Each individual is different. What works for me my not work for you. I would suggest trying on several packs with weight. That is when you find how they ride

The Metcalf for me rides right against my back,and moves with me. I do not feel like I am fighting the load. The more weight the more comfortable it rides. The lumbar pad sits right were I need for support. I also have a Pintler that I really like as well

Last edited:
62 years old with back surgery in 2014 repair disk I have tried different packs and only one that has worked well for me is SG EVO I am 6ft 205 lb if that helps

Great input thank you all. It would be used for packing elk out after the kill. My lower 5 are all fused together and I have a 3 other damaged disk from an accident in 1981. I was lucky and after 90 days in the hospital and 2 years I was able to learn to walk around pretty well again. I did 2 BH Sheep hunts, 5 moose hunts and elk/deer/antelope every year but 2 since. I am unsure why this year it decided to say hello again. Good luck and safe travel. Olefish

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back