Salmon mountains, Idaho

Jim/Wa

Last year I spent a few days deer hunting in 19a not too far east of Loon Lake. It occurred to me at the time that this would be an easy place to end up abandoning a truck until spring if the weather became a problem. There aren't many ways in and out of there. Anyway, I'm heading that way next week for the last week of general deer and was thinking of exploring a little further south along the South Fork Salmon but I have the same concerns. I'll probably come in on Warm Lake rd then head north. Plan B is taking the Scott Mtn road up to Deadwood and beyond. Does anyone know what the snow line is currently in that region? The forecast doesn't look too bad but how quickly do those roads shut down this time of year? Thanks!

Snow seems to be fairly high still. No issues with 4WD. Who knows what tomorrow will look like though.

Just came out of salmon and snow wasn’t bad. Only way up high. Still a few inches only. It was very snowy a week ago and has been hot since. Find some cool wet valleys and that’s where the animals seem to be right now. We didn’t do anything great but saw some critters and did kill one buck. Good luck

Been elk hunting just southwest of Salmon, snow isn't too bad, just on the higher peaks. Temperatures in the 60s. Supposed to change in the next couple of days with a storm moving through. Buddy and I got a couple of elk yesterday. Seen some good deer.

Back