Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Whitetail

land7601

Curious if anyone has ever hunted Whitetails west of I-25? Colorado has an OTC whitetail tag which is good from 12/1-12/31. I was killing some time looking through my onX maps and see that there is fair bit of public land in the OTC units. So I called a hunt planner and basically wasn't provided a ton of help....most of the whitetails are east of I-25 and on private land. I don't doubt this is true, but that defeats the purpose of the OTC hunt.

Just curious if anyone has ever given this hunt a try? How was your experience?

I really appreciate any info I can get my hands on!

Alex

That's a tough hunt, there's not a whole lot of productive public whitetail land in those units, and that tag is not a secret by any stretch. Some folks do get lucky though, and the game warden told me that there are a bunch of muley does killed every year by guys who can't tell the difference between that and a whitetail doe.

Tons of people in little productive areas like was said I have seen a couple real nice bucks come out of Pueblo but have yet to see a whitey during season ...I've done it twice with limited time tho

....most of the whitetails are east of I-25 and on private land. I don't doubt this is true, but that defeats the purpose of the OTC hunt.

The make the tags easy to get not because there are a lot of whitetails there, but because they want the whitetails removed from the area.

Given that if you overlay the winter concentration layer with the public land layer for those units there is only 36 acres of overlap I would imagine that is a tough hunt.

I would imagine those that are successful are covering lots of ground and knocking on doors once they find a good buck.

Thanks for the info everyone! Just had a new baby 2 months ago so I was looking for something a little closer to home. I know at one point they were removing the Whitetails due to CWD, but that has been a few years now right? Figured it was a tough hunt, I just never hear about folks hunting whitetails in Colorado, so the tag has always intrigued me. Really wanted to give it a shot this year.

Mudrander1, have you had any luck?

Given that if you overlay the winter concentration layer with the public land layer for those units there is only 36 acres of overlap I would imagine that is a tough hunt.

? There is far more overlap than that, but just because CPW says there are whitetails in that range doesn't mean there are a bunch of them...

Back