Colorado 1st Hunt Success

EastTNHunter

Many of y’all may remember that my dad and I have been saving and planning for a few years for a Colorado elk hunt with an outfitter that I withheld the name of until we had actually used them. I am pleased to say that Welder Outfitters did a remarkable job of getting both of us on elk, but my dad made a less than perfect shot and his bull got away. This horse-centered service is based about 30 miles east of Meeker, CO, and the ranch actually borders the Wilderness Area of the White River National Forest. The horses let you go past the walk-in crowds, and we both saw plenty of elk. I never would have seen this bull without horses, as we had to ride for several miles behind private property before cutting up the mountain, as there is little public road access to this particular block of land and most rests behind private property (this parcel was not accessed from the ranch, but a different trailhead). I almost shot a bull twice the size of the one that I got, but I never could get a comfortable shot through the aspens and had to let him walk. This unit is known more for quantity (very large population) and less for antler quality, but I’m not a trophy hunter and am pleased with the one that I was able to take. 30-06 and 165 TTSX handloads, killed at 1:00 in the afternoon of opening day. I will also say that ALTITUDE IS NO JOKE!!!!

0D23D7FA-45C0-48A9-AD6F-CCDDBA19A453.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back