Coolbot, over budget over time but awesome

BucksnDucks

I've been wanting a walk in at the house for years. Lately I was getting by with an old fridge. This year I decided to pull the trigger and modify an existing shed into a cooler using a window AC and CoolBot unit. I researched the system and did my best to follow recommendations found on youtube. Like so many projects do, this was way over time and over budget but I will take responsibility for that. I got it done a few days before my deer hunt and broke it in with three bucks hanging a few days later.
The unit works as advertised and held a solid 33/34' without a hitch. I'm very happy with the outcome. It was a solo project and I possess very limited carpentry skills.
I bought all materials at a big box store and was all in around $2000, give or take.
This project could have been done for less but I was behind schedule and paid retail prices. I took a few pics and would recommend the system to anyone interested in processing at home and having ability to age meat as desired.
20181006_204438_1538884053814_001.jpg20180917_185321_1539209940384_001.jpg20181009_071706.jpg20180928_202806_1538191732547_001.jpg

Attachments

• 20181010_171246.jpg
    20181010_171246.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 20181010_162410.jpg
    20181010_162410.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 523
Thanks for posting this. My buddy and I have been talking about doing this for a couple of years. Where could you have shaved money?

Where could you have shaved money?
I paid full retail for the window unit at the end of summer, likely could have found one on sale. The insulation is a big expense. I bought new from Lowes. I've talked to people who found used insulation removed from demos. I didn't want to take any chances as my temps get pretty hot even in fall. If possible build in a barn, shop, or other covered area where roof is not needed. I also insulated the floor, some people don't' if built on concrete.

BTW it is an 8x8 with 8 foot ceiling. I used doubled 4x8 x2 inch insulation panels sealed and taped. Outside temp was about 80' turned on unit and got to mid 30s in 20 or 30 minutes.

really hoping to do the same whenever I move the next time. How long did you keep it running?

If I knew I was going to stay at the house I am in for ever I would build one. My father in law has a bunch of 1.5” insulation panels that I could get and double or triple up. But I don’t want to build it then have to worry about it if I build a house or move... plus my cousin has a walk in and that’s only a ten minute drive from my house

Were there any negative reviews, or reviews that represented long term satisfaction with the unit?

really How long did you keep it running?
I was puzzled by the run time at first as the unit never appeared to shutoff even when below set temp. Apparently, the AC fan continues running even when the compressor is off. Coolbot manual says this is a good thing to keep air circulating. If AC is set to ECO mode the whole thing turns off. I will alert the forum if my next electric bill is severely affected.

No negatives so far and no condensation issues, humidity inside the cooler was near perfect for meat aging. Around 80-90%

Coolbots are awesome. We use one at the ranch we manage and will soon have one in our garage.
We loaded up the ranch cooler with 2 elk and 2 mule deer and it kept the temps at 38 for a solid week with no issues.
I think you need to make sure you buy the right a/c unit and you'll be fine.
We put a small 10,000 btu a/c in the 4x8 cooler at it does the job. This small cooler has little fiberglass insulation so the more the better I would say. Concrete floor with metal walls and insulation between the metal walls. Temps outside vary up to about 80+ degrees when we have to use, and no issues cooling it down.
Our friends with a brewery use one for their keg shed and it works great also, constantly running except for winter time.
IMG_9506 (640x960).jpg

Wytex- I like it.
The metal siding looks like a good idea for cleaning and durability. I bought a FRP panel to put up on the "high traffic" wall to protect panels. I have enough room where I may put a small table in the corner to cut meat.
The foil faced insulation panels are very easy to rip or puncture so either be careful or use some type of siding.

That walk-in is nice. Heck, I just need to build a shed, and you're building a walk-in cooler.

I have some mental plans for this in the next couple of years. List includes:

Slab floor with some drainage.
SIPS panel walls (I can probably get some trim/rejects for this to keep cost down)
"Porch section" for skinning
Hoist, rail system for easy carcass movement
Cool-bot cooling system
Humidity system (not sure of yet).

The thread has me thinking again. Congrats to the OP for a job well done.

This is really cool. I have a pole barn with 12 foot ceilings. Kind of thinking an 8x8 corner of it needs this.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back