Yeti GOBOX Collection

What's everyone's plans for MT opener

8andcounting

Good luck to all . What's everyone's plans ? Hope to see some pics coming in

We're going to let the weekend ridge drivers flush the deer down to us.
Going to take the boat and hit the river.
In the past we have done very well on public land that is remote or "Land locked"
that the river cuts through.
AND about the only other hunters you see are duck hunters.

IMG-0530.jpg

Last edited:
We're going to let the weekend ridge drivers flush the deer down to us.
Going to take the boat and hit the river.
In the past we have done very well on public land that is remote or "Land locked"
that the river cuts through.
AND about the only other hunters you see are duck hunters.

IMG-0530.jpg

Some awesome bucks ! Never hunted Montana before but have looked into it . Fort peck area decent ? I dont know where to start.

D4570- Yep we are waiting a week then hitting the rough stuff, once they are pushed off the road. Nice duck boat by the way. Look for us around Devils Creek.

Chasing birds this weekend while the pumpkin army takes the field. Will head out for a couple of day hunts during the week looking for critters. Good luck to all!

I'm pretty much tagged out, so I will be helping my parents get setup on some elk, then taking some AOH on their first hunts. I'll be wearing orange, but won't be carrying a gun.

Even though it's the day with the most people out there, still like a moth to a flame... it is OPENING DAY, gotta go and take the gun for a walk.

I'll be heading out dark and early. This will be my first hunt out here and am so glad my residency became official just in time! I know it will be crowded out there but hopefully the dozens of hours spent planning will pay off and I'll be able to sneak away a little bit.

I bought my tags a couple days ago and when they handed them to me I was a little shocked. Being from Florida an elk tag seemed a little like the great white buffalo my whole life, but now I am living out here and it is reality! I wish everyone a safe and awesome general season.

Heading to R7 for some WT on a piece of block I've been wanting to try out for 2 years, finally got a hold of the land owner. Dissapointed in the weather forecast but I reserved our spot a month ago so gonna have to give it a shot anyway. Good luck all!

The wait might kill me but im not going until Nov 12 but ill be there for 10 days , I have 3 tags to fill, general deer, muley doe and cow elk. I like to hunt the rut that's why im waiting few weeks. Good luck to everyone.

I went out Saturday with my Dad (now 72) and my kids (8 and 6). Hit some private ground this time - and made lots of memories. Explained Cactus and Yucca Plants to the kids. Walked / stopped / walked / stopped around a couple of coulees. Looked at every deer and elk track we could find. We glassed up a few mule deer does, no shooter buck. Dad needs a walker now, so he hung out near the truck while we did little hikes. He was able to walk up the road from the truck in the afternoon with his JC Higgin's '06 laid across the walker.

The 6 y/o dubbed himself the official gate-getter. If the gate had a chain and swung open. At the end of the day he was asleep 10 minutes after we hit the county road.

We got about 500 ft of vertical in total for the day, it won't be long until I'm chasing them up a mountain. All in all, about as perfect an opening day that I've ever had.

I still have my tags but I'll call it a success for my first hunt out here. I spent all Saturday walking and by the end of the day covered 16.61 miles. We started at about 4500 ft and our highest point was at 6800. I hadn't scouted this area before except for the maps so I was really trying to just learn the area the best I could and I think I was successful in that sense.

One spot I had planned to check and made it to by about 10 am, a guy killed a nice bull there at about 8 am. When we got to the spot we chatted with him for a few and that was the first time I've seen an elk down. Just seeing it and his excitement made everything worth it. Now it's my turn though!

Sat my stand for an hour at the end of the day yesterday and saw a doe. Haven't seen much rut action yet, just a spike chasing the ladies around. Should be soon though--next week it looks like a cold front is coming through, that will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back