What caliber?

Slamin84

Hello everyone,
This may be a very debatable question but first time elk hunter here and curious what caliber to go with a 308 or a 300 Win mag, oh are you experienced gas with your favorite choice and thanks for any and all help

Hello everyone,
This may be a very debatable question but first time elk hunter here and curious what caliber to go with a 308 or a 300 Win mag, oh are you experienced gas with your favorite choice and thanks for any and all help

Either will be fine at mortal ranges, take your pick. Just use a tough bullet. Good luck!

What's your favourite colour or food?

As long as you work off reasonable cals, for argument's sake say 270W and up, you'll get more variation in ethical kills dependent on bullet placement and type over calibre. Pick whichever you like.

For what it's worth we have sambar which are similar weight wise to elk, probably harder to put down given their physical makeup and from what people that have hunted both have said.

I've taken more with a 270 than any other cal, I once owned two 300wm and a 7mmRM and now only have an '06 and a 275 rigby.

Inside most hunters ranges i.e. sub 400 yards, with modern ballistics and related equipment there's no difference in real world usage or killing ability. Someone may argue wind drift and drop in favour of magnums but with a ballistics program (you'd likely have for both at that range) it cancels out any benefit.

I'd recommend anyone to go with 7mm08, 270W, 308 or 30-06 for a first gun. Very manageable recoil and can be loaded up and down for various size game.

Hello everyone,
What calibers do you own? What type country will you hunt in?

Doesn't matter unless you want to shoot a long way off. Get a tough bullet and turn heart/lungs into soup and you'll be good.

Either would work fine if you have one or both of those. If you were looking to buy a rifle and you were thinking about the 308 or the 300 Win. I would go 30-06. It's just such a great cartridge but won't kill an elk any deader than the the other two will.

David

I live here in southern Indiana, so for me I’ve never needed a high powered rifle, so I don’t own one. This will be my first rifle. My hunt is 2 years out 2020. You could say it a bucket list.

I onistly don’t know what would be the best cartridge, so I may have a dum question or two, I Have been raised that you listen to the people that have done it for years and are experienced so that’s why I am here well in advance to pick at your guys brains and value all of your opinions because you have been there.

There's a million and a half good choices. I grew up shooting a 30-06 that my dad had and haven't yet found a reason to switch. That being said if I grew up shooting a 308 or 300 win mag I would be saying the same thing. They're all good choices. I personally would choose a 7 rem mag, 30-06 or 300 magnum of some sort.

Last edited:
There's a million and a half good choices. I grew up shooting a 30-06 that my dad had and haven't yet found a reason to switch. That being said if I grew up shooting a 308 or 300 win mag I would be saying the same thing. They're all good choices. I personally would choose a 7 rem mag, 30-06 or 300 magnum of some sort.

Yep. For the most part, just pick something between a .270 and a .338.

I love my Tikka 270WSM T3 Lite- use it for all game in all kinds of weather.

I'd say it depends on the rifle you want. If you're looking at cutting weight on the action then go with the shorter .308. If you don't care about that or recoil, go with a 300 win. If you want something in the middle, go with a 30-06. As everyone else has pointed out, it really doesn't matter in the big picture. You should focus more on the rifle.

Hello everyone,

What rifles are you running now? If you're a novice shooter, a 300 WM will be good way to pick up bad habits.

I have shot elk with a 270WSM, 30-06, 300WM, .30 Nosler. I think the larger caliber you can shoot properly, accurately and rifle you know well is best. You will never get a consensus, because everyone has their favorite round or gun. I have seen elk killed with many more rounds than listed, and I have seen most of these rounds require a second shot. I have also seen elk just get piled up on the first shot from a 7MM and 300Wm, literally like they got their legs taken out with a bat, only to have them get up a few minutes later a run off. Sometimes never finding them. Its about shot placement, bullet itself, and energy behind it is what anchors big critters. Use a tough bullet, practice shooting, shoot at reasonable distances ( for me its under 400 yrds) and relax. Most of the time if you play the wind correct, you have lots of time to make a good, ethical shot. After the shot, be ready for another, and relax.....

My two cents

I live here in southern Indiana, so for me I’ve never needed a high powered rifle, so I don’t own one. This will be my first rifle. My hunt is 2 years out 2020. You could say it a bucket list.

I would never recommend someone get a 300wm as their first rifle caliber. Elk aren’t hard to kill as long as you have the skill set to punch lungs. My new to hunting rifles caliber recommendation is 7/08 but a 308 is a good choice.

I would never recommend someone get a 300wm as their first rifle caliber. Elk aren’t hard to kill as long as you have the skill set to punch lungs. My new to hunting rifles caliber recommendation is 7/08 but a 308 is a good choice.

This. The .308 is a fantastic round. Versatile, economical and easy on the shoulder.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back