Help from a stranger?

2rocky

WyTex shared an elk hunt where a stranger with a deer tag pointed out some elk to him an his wife, then helped them pack it out.

I had a similar experience on my Tule Elk Hunt in 2010. Feel free to share your story...Here's mine:

Day 3....
It was 5:00 pm before I got back out to check on the herd. The satellites were out there, but I didn’t see the main herd until I checked the river. The bull was standing guard over the cows spread out feeding a sub-irrigated flat along the creek channel just off of a two track road. I circled to the North and used the terrain to maneuver within 150 yards of the bull and his cows bedded in the tall grass at 6:00 pm. I vowed to wait and let the elk make the first move before I called. I couldn’t see the cows but I knew they were close to where the bull was bedded with his antlers sticking up. I wasn’t going to get any closer without getting busted. About every 20 minutes the bull would bugle from his bed.
aug2010-042-e1282241382195.jpg

Pretty soon in about 45 minutes cows began to get up and move around . I started some light cow talk, and had an elk calf come at a trot to within 15 yards of my position chirping and mewing up a storm. He got so close I could see quite clearly it was a bull elk calf (if you know what I mean?) He circled behind me on my down wind side but for some reason never busted me. I was nervous about him being down wind, but when I heard the vehicle coming that became a secondary concern. The Pickup came down the two track road and the driver was on the cell phone . I heard him remark “Dude there is an elk up here right in front of me.” I heard the muffled voice from the other end of the call, and the driver said “Yeah, dude, WAPITI!”

The truck passed by me at 40 yards as the cows watched it drive by. Apparently they see a lot of white pickups daily and didn’t blow out of the country much to my surprise. I was extremely dismayed when the truck stopped 200 yards behind me and the driver got out to watch the elk. The vehicle was hidden from the elk by some trees so I figured what the heck, I’d continue to call to see what wa going to happen.

Well it turned out better than I thought. The cows mewed back and began trailing my way. The bull got out of his bed, bugled and began pushing cows by me at 40 yards, along a trail . When he stepped into the open I drew my bow on the unsuspecting bull and put an arrow RIGHT OVER HIS BACK!

He whirled and ran 10 yard before he looked back as I frantically tried top nock another arrow with the nock full of dried mud. I dropped that arrow and nocked a different one, put the 50 yd pin on him and watched my fletching pass into and through the bulls ribcage. Then the bull hit high gear! My cow calls stopped the herd briefly, and I thought I herd some gurgling but moment later I could hear the herd splashing across the river, and even heard a bull bugle on the other side. I could only hope my bull was not in that group that went across.

In order to fill the 15 minutes I vowed to give myself before I looked for blood, I walked over to the pickup to meet my spectator. It turned out he was an employee of the local utility company, and he apologized profusely for driving through my hunt. He introduced himself as “Cowboy”, but I told him that tonight he must be my guardian angel. It turned out Cowboy was an avid rifle hunter and he offered to help me trail up my bull. As soon as the 15 minutes was up I went to the site of the shot and saw my bull laying 50 yards away.

I was ecstatic! At that point I snapped a picture with my cell phone and started sending it to folks in my contact list. For the rest of the evening the phone vibrated constantly with congratulations pouring in, as Cowboy held light and legs for me as we broke down my bull. He even loaded the quarters in his truck and gave me a ride back to my vehicle before he bid me good night shortly before 10:30 pm.
aug2010-0651-e1282242262653.jpg

Here is my story from Tuesday...I just finish cleaning my bull and loading my pack... hear some whistling look over and a guy is headed my way...I'm like excellent! 3 miles just got a lot easier...we talk for a couple minutes a bull bugles he runs off to get his friend...they catch me on the way down. I offer some meat in exchange for packing...they say they will fill their freezers with whitetails if they dont get an elk...nice guys but no help lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back