Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non resident help

WVpseguy

Hey guys I just talked to a south dakota game and fish guy and he was very helpful. I'm trying to get a rifle tag for Mule deer next year. He was awesome at explaining the preference points and how I could purchase points this year and have 1 point next season. I'm just wanting to know the difference between west river deer and west river special buck. Should I purchase both points. Also what are some points I should purchase in order states such as wyoming and Colorado. I just dont want to miss out on a point that I would wish I had. Thanks for any help.

I believe special buck is private land only.

As far as other states, consider Wyoming for sure for deer, elk, and pronghorn. You still have a couple weeks to get on there and get a point, don't miss out.

Colorado application period is in the spring. I think deer and elk points are worth getting into there.

I'm not sure if Montana purchasing period is still open or not, a big game preference point might be something you would like to grab.

Those are all of the states I participate in, you may want to get in on some others after some more research.

I believe special buck is private land only. You will have to decide if PP for that are part of your plan or not.

As a non-resident 1 point probably won't be enough to draw a west river tag where there is any decent amount of public land, but the way the SD is set up it's possible you could draw.

Spend some time on each state's website to learn more about their seasons, points, etc. as each state is different.

You can still buy a WY point.

You're too late this year for a CO point.

Special buck is definetley private land. I made the mistake in getting that point one year and then realized my error.

Yep, these guys are correct. Special buck is private land. Also big changes to SD’s draw system. Doesn’t affect nonresidents as much as it does residents, but I could see it skewing draw odds the next few years as the kinks get worked out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back