MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

South Dakota pheasant 2018

fallfreak

Anybody else headed to South Dakota for the pheasant opener? This will be my 11th year going. Just great to get out with friends and family and hopefully shoot a few birds. The pheasant counts are supposedly up this year so that is promising. If anyone is interested I will try to report back how the hunt is going. Maybe even post a pic or 2 if I can figure out how to do that.

At airport now. Flying to Kansas City then driving the rest of the way tomorrow.

Good luck, hope you have a great hunt! The report says the numbers are up although they were down last year. One way to find out!!! ROOSTER!!!

Being from SD, this is my favorite holiday of the year. I'll be out there and can provide a few updates and photos. I shot a couple last weekend at the resident opener. Agreed with sluggo, reported numbers are 50% up after being 50% down last year.

I'll be really interested to follow this. I am headed out (mostly for waterfowl) on the 27th.

Would be a cool thread to keep going for a while.

I also am interested in Following on this thread. I am Planning a trip to Mitchell area Nov 11th -13th. First time hunting in SD. the Pheasant population in Eastern Mt is low with some exceptions. would love some reports on populations. and places to Stay around Mitchell/Plankinton SD.

My Dad, Son and I are heading out Saturday for a week, primarily a waterfowl trip but plan to do some pheasant hunting as well.

My son has football for several more weeks so we won’t get there until Nov7-11. Leave a few for the rest of us.

Anyone ever hunted the Southwest part of the state? I realize it's not the optimum place but we have an antelope hunt starting Monday in Wyoming and are planning on staying for the Nebraska Upland opener the following Saturday. Considered making a pit stop in Southwest SD if we thought we could find some birds.

Made it to northeast Kansas. Several combines rolling. Harvesting both corn and soybeans. Hope to see a bunch of them rolling tomorrow on the way to South Dakota. We will stop in Mitchell to see all the excitement at Cabelas and pick up or licenses and shells. Then a quick stop at the Hungry Dog for great dogs and burgers. Then another 100 miles to our hunting spot.

Anyone ever hunted the Southwest part of the state? I realize it's not the optimum place but we have an antelope hunt starting Monday in Wyoming and are planning on staying for the Nebraska Upland opener the following Saturday. Considered making a pit stop in Southwest SD if we thought we could find some birds.

Pete, there are very, very few wild pheasants in the SW corner of the state.

Depending on the reports, I may throw a trip together in early December.

Pete, there are very, very few wild pheasants in the SW corner of the state.

Depending on the reports, I may throw a trip together in early December.

It doesn't look like they rebounded much from last year down that way but it was hard to decipher if it really was that difficult or just difficult to find them by South Dakota standards which would probably still be better than a few places I've been.

Good luck everyone. I grew up just outside of Mitchell and this time of year was always exciting. I can still remember that first rooster erupting from the tumbleweeds right in front of me. Great times!!

I wouldn't invest the money on a SD pheasant license to hunt in the SW portion of the state. You may find one or two, but the likelihood is that you would find grouse. The only exception is the LaCreek Refuge, there are quite a few birds in there.

Look forward to seeing this thread develop. We will be making our annual trip in mid-November (we like the low crowd scene) to our friend's place near Mobridge. We did very well last year given the rough Winter (hunt a combo of private and public), but we did not see nearly the Hen numbers we normally do which was cause for some concern. Some years we go twice, but decided to give them a break last year (plus - Colorado was in fantastic shape last year so the extra 5 hours drive wasn't worth it).

One of these years I'll make it for the opener just to experience the party :)

Weather forecast is looking great for the opener. Combines were going full force yesterday. Saw a few birds in the fields and ditches even with a pretty good wind. Good luck to everyone headed out. Noon can't get here quick enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back