Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lee Breach Lock Challenger Kit Review

OhHeyThereBen

I figured that by now I've spent enough hours behind this press and everything that comes with the kit to write a bit of a review for anyone looking at getting into reloading. I know that this winter there will probably be quite a few people asking questions (just as I did) about different presses and kits and which tools to add to them so I hope you all find this helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...57&sr=8-1&keywords=breech+lock+challenger+kit

I bought the challenger kit about 10 months ago after wanting to start reloading since I was a kid. I did a lot of research to see what all I needed to start reloading as well as asked a ton of questions from the amazing Hunt Talk community before taking the leap.

I will say that aside from a few key (mostly caliber specific) pieces this kit has everything you'll need to get started in reloading. I'm sure you'll read many other reviews that will tell you many things about this kit after reading mine, but here are a few things to consider:

1. I have found the Lee beam scale to be entirely accurate, trustworthy, and adequate for beginning reloading. Most of the reviews that I read say to just throw away the beam scale and buy an electronic one, but I have found that I use the beam scale to keep my electronic scale honest. The beam scale doesn't change its tare, it is easy to use, and once set it stays put. Now, electronic scales are much faster to use and are worth considering if you'll be loading many different powder loads, but to start just use the beam scale until you're comfortable with the reloading process.

2. The quality of the pieces are entirely adequate. From my use of Lee products I’ve found that they may not have a polished finish like higher priced products, but they do create quality ammunition. I’ve now reloaded about 1500 pieces of pistol and rifle ammunition without a disappointment in the process.

3. The powder thrower seems a bit cheap but is quite accurate. I throw most of my pistol charges instead of trickling each, so this saves a bunch of time and equalizes the slight slowness of using the balance beam scale.

4. The hand priming tool works very well. It lets you feel the primers go into the brass and judge pressure used. This will help detect loose primer pockets. I haven’t had many problems with primers flipping around and going in backwards, but it’s possible if a constant angle hasn’t been held. Just be careful until you get a feel for it. Additionally, the kit comes with all of the shell holders you'll need (unless you shoot something really strange), which is a big bonus.

5. Lee’s quick change bushings are a nice touch. It’s easy to switch between different dies.

6. The primer pocket cleaner works very well. I got by without tumbling my brass for a while and just cleaning each by hand. I only did this for my rifle brass and shot my pistol brass dirty. This worked out just fine.

7. The chamfer tool is nearly garbage. You may want to pick up another tool for this purpose. I have honestly not replaced this piece yet but regret it every time I use the kit one. It will work, but it's enough of a pain to complain about it.

8. The case trimming set works well. You’ll need to pick up a caliber-specific spacer and shell holder, but it’s entirely worth it. Just chuck the shell holder into a drill and you’ll get through your brass trimming in no time.

9. The case lube that comes with the set works fine. It’s a bit messy, but if applied generously it does work. I did have a stuck case while using it, but it’s because I didn’t put enough on. Be generous with it and let the lube dry into a powder and you won’t get any neck dimpling. I’ll probably move on to another lube after I run out of this, but it’s lasting a long time.

10. The press itself is very stout. It also has adjustments on the arm in order to provide a smooth and level press on the cartridge from the arm. I added some gun oil to the press itself and it’s as smooth as butter. I also had to tighten up one bolt/nut in the arm itself. No big deal.

There are a few things that you’ll need to pick up:

1. A caliber specific set of dies.

2. A caliber specific case length gauges for the trimming tools.

3. A reloading manual (Lee dies come with some reloading data. You can go without this if you buy Lee dies, but a manual gives plenty of additional information that may be valuable to you)

4. A set of calipers for measuring case and cartridge length.

5. Reloading supplies (primer, powder, bullet, brass)

Optional things you may want:

1. Electronic scale – allows for quicker measurements. I ended up purchasing one because of the bad reviews of the Lee scale. I do use it very often, but from my experiences it's not a necessary purchase.

2. A reloading block to stand up your brass for putting powder in.

3. A tumbler for cleaning brass.

4. Bullet extractor – you’ll mess up a load or cartridge length eventually.

5. A case mouth chamfer tool. (as stated above, you can get the one in the kit to work, but it sucks)

6. Any of a million dollars’ worth of contraptions and doodads that can make the process simpler. Once you get used to reloading you’ll figure out what additions are right for you. Don’t stress about them now.

From what I’ve found, this kit provides extreme value. You can go cheaper by buying some things used or different types of presses, but I really don’t think you’d want to get anything less expensive than this kit if you’re buying new. It gives you nearly everything you’ll need to make “match” grade ammunition. It’ll also end up saving you hundreds of dollars if you’re willing to put the time in reloading. With such a low entry cost and depending on the type of factory ammunition you shoot, you’ll make up the cost of the press in no time. Additionally, it’s a blast and a highly rewarding hobby (for the types of people that are either detail orientated or just enjoy pissing around in their basement).

This information can probably apply to many other press kits, but you’ll pay quite a bit more for them. I hope this answers most of your questions, but always feel free to ask questions. If anyone else has something to add or sees anything I missed, please comment!

Last edited:
All I have used for years is Lee, they sometimes get a bad rap but they have served me well. I only neck size and I have very accurate reloads!!

I've replaced most everything that came with the kit. I agree that de-burring tool was cruddy, probably the worst part of it. I still use the press and the priming tool. I've been able to load some pretty darn good rifle ammo with it.

I've replaced most everything that came with the kit. I agree that de-burring tool was cruddy, probably the worst part of it. I still use the press and the priming tool. I've been able to load some pretty darn good rifle ammo with it.

I'd be interested to hear what all you replaced and what you replaced it with. I could definitely see replacing the scale, but I don't think it's inaccurate or anything, just time consuming. Anything that you'd recommend people pick up right away?

Definitely a Lyman case prep tool. It has all the different attachments you might need and works well, isn't expensive. I also found the balance beam scale to be a lot of hassle. There are lots of electronic scales out there, I got a very simple little Hornady digital scale. Calibrate it every time you use it, and get a manual powder trickler; use the thrower to get you in the ballpark and finish up the charge with the trickler. That worked well for me, but my wife got me an autocharger for my birthday. Now I'm spoiled.

Certainly also need a good caliper for measuring, as well as an anvil attachment and comparator. I find it way, way more accurate to measure the loaded round from the base to where the bullet takes the rifling, rather that base to tip. There is a lot of variation in bullet tips, not so much in the ogive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back