Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Boot Care

119bowhunter

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I tried searching the forum and couldn't really find an answer...but when you buy a new pair of boots do you typically apply waterproofing and/or leather conditioner before your initial use? Or do they come from the factory ready to go and the treatments are more or less to keep them in tip top shape down the road? Just bought a new pair of Lowa Tibets if that makes any difference, these cost about double what I've ever spent on a pair of boots before and I want to make sure I take care of them properly.
Thanks!
TJ

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. Many brands have their own conditioner or waterproofing. Yes I put the stuff on right away. FWIW, if you plan on wearing these boots while hunting this season you better start wearing them right away.

FYI, I used to use Obenaufs but was told by the cobbler that rebuilt my soles it was destroying the glue that held the rand onto the boot and to stop using it. I'm not sure if that is true but my new pair of Zamberlan boots won't be using it.

I would apply something to your leathers for sure. I use Obenaufs, and had no issues. I have not heard of it destroying glue before, though.

If you pay good money for premium boots I would follow the manufacturer's advice over generalized internet anecdote.

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered some of the Lowa brand waterproofing and leather conditioner, also I did read the care advice but it wasn't clear whether I needed to do it before the first use or not. On all my gore tex rainwear I only use waterproofing after water stops beading up but it seemed to me that at least the leather conditioner would be a good idea, just curious if there was a general consensus on whether or not this is necessary, sounds like it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Mthuntr, I will still probably hunt mostly in my old boots but will try and start working these into the rotation to start getting them broken in.

Good choice in going with recommended brand. Also on boot choice. Never used a conditioner on a Lowa boot,mine have been pretty much good to go. Just waterproofing after a while. Never had wet feet in them either.
I use a Nikwax cream that Lowa also recommends too. I clean them up & rub in ,let soak in in sun,finish rubbing in.
I use Obenaufs on other boots & Kenetrek packs ,but it eats the rand on Lowa's, I was told by guy that did it to his 1st pair....he also told me about getting them thru ebay to save $,which I did.
I also got a pair of Lowa Caminos there for half price,NIB. My everyday wear boot now.
They are ready for second coat of sealer as are the Tibets.

Last edited:
Good choice in going with recommended brand. Also on boot choice. Never used a conditioner on a Lowa boot,mine have been pretty much good to go. Just waterproofing after a while. Never had wet feet in them either.
I use a Nikwax cream that Lowa also recommends too. I clean them up & rub in ,let soak in in sun,finish rubbing in.
I use Obenaufs on other boots & Kenetrek packs ,but it eats the rand on Lowa's, I was told by guy that did it to his 1st pair....he also told me about getting them thru ebay to save $,which I did.
I also got a pair of Lowa Caminos there for half price,NIB. My everyday wear boot now.

What exact product from Nikwax do you use for your Lowa boots? Just picked up a pair of the Hunters and want to keep that rand from peeling off. Thanks!

What exact product from Nikwax do you use for your Lowa boots? Just picked up a pair of the Hunters and want to keep that rand from peeling off. Thanks!
I’ve used about every Nikwax product out there. The aqueous waxes won’t last near as long as the others. A cream or a paste wax is your best bet.

I ran out of the Zamberlan brand cream I was using and ordered a can of Grangers G Wax. It’s a beeswax paste.

I was looking at getting the Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather. See anything wrong with using that or anything else in the Nikwax line that would be better?

I was looking at getting the Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather. See anything wrong with using that or anything else in the Nikwax line that would be better?
Guessing that’s pretty damned close to the Hydrobloc I was using. It’s fine. It’ll need reapplied a little more often than a paste wax would.

Hey guys, thought I'd post an update for others to reference in the future. Lowa customer service got back with me via email saying that Nikwax is fine to use on any Lowa boots and will not void the warranty.

I use the nikwax paste on my tibets as well since I couldn't get the lowa stuff locally.

I only use the brand of treatment that the boots are. For instance, I use Danner waterproofing gel on my Danners, I used Kenetrek boot wax on my Kenetreks, and Crispi waterproofing on Crispis. You spend $450 on a pair of boots, and have to buy something to put on your boots, why worry about saving a couple of dollars by buying and using something not made for/by the boot manufacturer? I'm sure some products might be better (or worse) for your boots, but I wouldn't use anything but what the boot maker sells. Stay safe just in case you have to make a warranty claim. Just me, YMMV

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back