Vets, Thank You For Your Service!

ElkNut1

My Son & I had the Privilege to be asked to join on an Elk Hunt for several of our Vets that gave their all for us! The stories that were shared by them each evening were heart wrenching, I honestly had no idea what these Heroes had went through, I have an even deeper respect for their service! I'd like to say Thank You to all have been in their shoes!

On our 2nd morning out we had covered nearly 4 miles before we were able to get a bull to respond, it was the first one & Jerry the shooter was so excited to hear his first Elk Bugle ever! No way could you wipe that smile off his face! I think he was hooked! (grin)

The bull bugled 350 yards to our left & slightly above us in the thick timber, we quickly moved & stayed under the bull to get position. We had moved 200 yards & I bugled for his location, he instantly responded just above us hardly a 100 yards away. I positioned the shooter (Jerry) & cameraman best I could & retreated behind them 35 yards, I saw they were setup & started raking a tree, I gave 2 cow calls & the bull chuckled, I then gave him a mid volume challenge to stay back from my cow, he chuckled instantly & I cow called 2 more times to his response, he chuckled again & I upped the volume on my Challenge Bugle & that was all she wrote, the bull rushed in to 25 yards from Jerry & cameraman. (Nick- He's a Super guy) The bull hesitated on his way in looking for me & that was all Jerry needed, he had just heard, seen & arrowed his first Bull Elk, a beautiful heavy horned 6 point! Oh my God the excitement that followed will be etched in my heart & memory forever! It was truly a highlight of my life to be apart of this elk hunt! A huge Salute to Jerry & all those like him! Thank You!

Idaho OTC Public Land!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• 3 Vets 2018.jpg
    3 Vets 2018.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Awesome hunt and story! And thank you for making his hunt dreams come true. I totally agree with the name of this thread, Thanks to all Vets and their service for us!

Thanks guys! I am working on trying to get that clip, he said yes but is still editing it! I'll share it as soon as I receive it, thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Your experience mirrors why we do what we do here in Arizona (giving back to those who gave so much). Way to go, Paul (and your buddies)!

Thanks guys, I'd certainly enjoy helping them out again in the future!

Thanks to the many of you here for your service as well! We should never take these things for granted!

ElkNut/Paul

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back