Yeti GOBOX Collection

Newbie needing NM unit 51 help

RJG488

Hello everyone, my friend and I drew a late season elk tag in NM unit 51 Dec.1 - 6 . I'm planning on going scouting the first weekend of November. Any pointers on where to start scouting any information will be appreciated.Thank you.

Long time listener, first time caller, huh? Welcome aboard after a year!

I just did 5 days in unit 50 and if 51 is anything like it i wish you luck.
Feet hurt. Back kills. Im sun burnt and frozen, saw elk 3 of 5 days but do your homework.
Ill be here for 2 more days if you need me to check something out for you.

Thank you guys. And yes I’m doing my homework and e-scouting a lot just seeing if I can get some tips on that unit or pointed in a direction and I can go from there.

I know nothing about that unit. Member since 2017. Doesn't post much and doesn't need to be treated like an newcomer.

If I had info, I would give info. Good luck. Walk miles. Glass for hours.

Wish I had better advice

Never hunted there but if I had that tag,I'd check the draws going to private at 51&52 border.I got my bull in NM this year within an hour opening day.I never stepped foot in NM before then.The forest service roads are the roughest I've ever encountered.You lose ALOT of competition by taking those 4 wheel drive only roads.I was 10 miles in one of those roads and all alone.Took me over an hour to drive those 10 miles

I've had great luck in that unit. Every time I have hunted that unit there were always elk running around. There is a town called Cebolla and about a quarter of a mile is a National forest road that will take you around the base of Canjilon Mountain and will bring just east of the town Canjilon. That road is very good the highest part of that road you can park and walk around and usually run into some elk. Also if you keep going east of Canjilon there are roads to take and great places to hike around. I've never hunted that late in to the season and the mountains have been getting hit with snow, bring your chains and shovels. Also make sure you drive on designated roads game wardens will give you tickets. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get one.

Back