Montana HD 319 - Fleecer

Bombsnbullets

I am getting ready for rifle and have been preparing to hunt district 319 north of Wise River. I hiked around a few times in the summer to get the lay of the land, but I was recently told by a local that the elk all move to private land early during rifle season (questionable). I am still planning on starting with 319, but am also looking at neighboring districts. Does anyone have experience hunting 319 or the units around it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

319... I'm not trying to discourage you but expect to run into half the population of Butte on opening morning. If you're looking at the fleecer area, you might try getting up early and hiking high, or maybe up onto fleecer ridge. I've never hunted there myself but I've been told they get pushed onto fleecer ridge by the hunting pressure and will tend to cluster up there a bit.

Last edited:
It gets hunted very hard, every other license plate is a number1. Your driving past better spots if you live in 3 Forks. I started hunting different spots close by after 4 years chasing elk in 319.

Okay, well its looking like I probably wont end up in 319. My next spot that I have also scouted is the northern portion of 391 in Helena National Forest. I will most likely head that way.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back