Great article in Outside by Rinella

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I thought this article was really good(and still do) until I showed it to a non-hunting hiker friend of mine. His response, which might have had a lot to do with the title, was "What the hell is this guy talking about, I don't hate hunters". So I went back and read it again, and I can sort of see his point. I know it certainly wasn't the authors intention, but the article could lead you to believe that there is this great divide that really may not be as far apart as you think.

People often make the mistake of reading something like this and thinking it applies to ONLY them and therefore it must be wrong because it differs from their personal opinion, but they (your buddy) are also forgetting that in fact there are lots of hikers out there who DO hate hunters...

Great article. Rinella correctly perceives that " some people who spot me with my rifle are never going to imagine anything but a callous hick." Unfortunately many hunters behave in ways that reinforce that negative view. The hunters that shoot signs and litter the back country give the rest of us a bad name. As both a dedicated hunter and hiker/backpacker, I see the trash left behind in places well away from maintained trails that only hunters access. There is no excuse for this other than to note that "leave no trace" has been a hiker/backpacker mantra for decades but you never see it mentioned in a hunting magazine or even in the F&G publications. Hikers left litter behind 50 years ago but education has changed their behavior. Hunters need to do the same. With regard to shooting road signs, nothing says "I'm a hunter and a complete idiot" more effectively than a road sign riddled with bullet holes right there for all to see.

Really Luke, is your experience different? We live in different part of the country and perhaps that is not the case in your neck of the woods. I have seen a big change in hiker behavior in the east over the past 50 years and on the occasions that I have had the opportunity to hike in the west I did not see trash left behind at campsites or natural stopping points. I'm not saying every hiker/backpacker is as conscientious as they should be, but most are very good about not leaving trash behind and I attribute it to focus on the issue. I wish the hunting community would embrace the same focus.

I have to agree with EdP I pick up tons of trash in the back country most common items are balloons, rubber gloves, plastic bags that hold game bags, and plastic bottles and cans.

Really Luke, is your experience different? We live in different part of the country and perhaps that is not the case in your neck of the woods. I have seen a big change in hiker behavior in the east over the past 50 years and on the occasions that I have had the opportunity to hike in the west I did not see trash left behind at campsites or natural stopping points. I'm not saying every hiker/backpacker is as conscientious as they should be, but most are very good about not leaving trash behind and I attribute it to focus on the issue. I wish the hunting community would embrace the same focus.

Come out and take a hike to popular peak or up a busy trail in Colorado one of these days. Every demographic of outdoor users has its share of fools who see nothing wrong with leaving their garbage behind...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back