Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Minimum Velocity

Dougfirtree

Has anyone ever seen published minimum velocities for muzzleloader bullets? I'm curious how slow is too slow to expand them properly. Seems like useful information. Personally, I use the TC Shock Wave and have not been able to find that info anywhere. I suppose I could call them...

I corresponded with Barnes in reference to this question recently. They said 1100 FPS. Since becoming of the copper mono mindset and picking up a bunch of their ammo I still have yet to kill anything, but I will say this- I used "Shockwave" projectiles (identical to Hornady SST) for the first time last year and was very unimpressed with their terminal performance. The first 100 feet of the blood trail from a Whitetail I shot at 45 yards, at which point there would be plenty of velocity for expansion, was microscopic.

I corresponded with Barnes in reference to this question recently. They said 1100 FPS. Since becoming of the copper mono mindset and picking up a bunch of their ammo I still have yet to kill anything, but I will say this- I used "Shockwave" projectiles (identical to Hornady SST) for the first time last year and was very unimpressed with their terminal performance. The first 100 feet of the blood trail from a Whitetail I shot at 45 yards, at which point there would be plenty of velocity for expansion, was microscopic.

I've heard others say that. Personally, I've had one kill where a deer didn't leave a blood trail, but all the others were fine. They penetrate very well. I suspect they're being manufactured with 150 grain powder loads in mind. I just use 100 grains of White Hot, so probably am not getting maximum expansion.

FWIW I have shot at least a dozen deer with either my TC Thunderhawk / Hawken / Omega.
Have shot all of them with bullets such as Maxi Ball / Maxi Hunter / Power Belt copper / Hornady XTP 240 grain pistol Hollow Points.
Very few of these bullets exited the hide on the far side of the deer, so only blood was by mouth and nose.
All deer dead usually in the same bean field or woodlot.
I just never got the penetration.

SMH

FWIW I have shot at least a dozen deer with either my TC Thunderhawk / Hawken / Omega.
Have shot all of them with bullets such as Maxi Ball / Maxi Hunter / Power Belt copper / Hornady XTP 240 grain pistol Hollow Points.
Very few of these bullets exited the hide on the far side of the deer, so only blood was by mouth and nose.
All deer dead usually in the same bean field or woodlot.
I just never got the penetration.

SMH

Well, if you want more penetration, you might try these Shockwaves. I've only ever seen one not exit, and that was an end to end shot; bullet entered front of chest and lodged against one of the rear thighs.

I'm still shootin' a flintlock with real BP. So my knowledge of these caseless centerfires is limited. My question is... full pass thru may add some blood but if your projectile expends all it's energy inside the animal isn't that the optimum objective.

Back