Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gotta brag on my old man (84 years young)

Congrats to your dad. My grandpa is 83 and still hunts deer with his rifle and muzzleloader every year. Also gets out a few times a year with his beagle for rabbits

That is awesome. Congratulations to your dad.

I used to run around that area in my college days. We had some fun hunts there.

Great story! If he feels up to hunting then let him hunt, never take away the things he enjoys. At 84 yrs young he is an inspiration and I could only wish I would be in good enough shape to be able to get out and do the same.

Great to see the older guys still getting it done

Last November Dad and I were archery hunting another property about an hour and a half from home and Mom was hunting behind their house. When we got out of the woods, Ma called and said she had hit a buck really well, and that they needed to get it when Dad got home. I told Dad to call me if they needed help or when they found it. No call came that night, so I called them the next morning.

They had great blood, but the buck was still alive, so they left it overnight. They had already gone out that morning and followed it another 100 yards or so before they completely lost blood, and now they were back having breakfast. About 11 am Ma starts getting her boots on and Dad asked what the her plan was. "That bucks dead, and I am going to find him. Keep your phone on, I'll call if I find more blood."

A half hour or so later, she calls Dad. "Bring my boots, he's in the pond." So it takes Dad about a half hour to get her boots, knife, and the wheeler. Needless to say, Ma was a little excited, and in Dad's

15683.jpeg

words "by the time I got out there she was wet clean up to her tits!" She didn't even wait to "rock, paper, scissors". Her words: "my deer, my responsibility."

15679.jpeg

She had called the shot, perfect double lung, maybe a little high. It was just one of those deals where in her confidence, they might have gotten on the trail too soon and bumped the buck

The pond was just above freezing and about 5' deep, at least the day was starting to warm up!

Oh, and I know age is just a number, but Ma is 73, Dad is 75. LOTS OF GREAT MEMORIES WITH THOSE TWO THROUGH THE YEARS.

15678.jpeg

<a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.adpeepshosted.com/adpee...pe=1&bpos=default" target="_blank">< img src="https://www.adpeepshosted.com/adpee...pe=1&bpos=default" width="200" height="220" alt="Click Here!" title="Click Here!" border="0" /></a> 
<a href="https://adpeepshosted.com/adpeeps.p...pe=1&bpos=default" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">< img src="https://www.adpeepshosted.com/adpee...pe=1&bpos=default" width="200" height="220" alt="Click Here!" title="Click Here!" border="0" /></a> 

Is 84 too old to hunt elk? What if you hunt alone? Some folks in my family wish my dad would move to town and quit elk hunting. But don't count on it. This year he went out alone, departing by headlamp, with his 50-year-old BAR in 30-06. He lives on a quarter-section in Idaho's Unit 8 (or 8A, I'm not sure). He heard a bugle in the dark, but not sure if it was an elk or a hunter, he crept closer. At dawn he saw a 5-point about 300 yards away. He cut the distance in half and dropped the bull with one shot. He got out his cell phone (which is only for emergencies) and started calling reinforcements. He walked back home, got his John Deere, scooped up the bull and took it home to cut and wrap it. You don't quit when you get old, you get old when you quit.

No shit, he's a total badass in my opinion. I love folks who don't give in.

Most awesome thing I've read in a long time. My hat's off to him. Life goals for sure.

Update on my dad, the 89-year-old elk hunter. I'm back on the home place helping him recover from hip replacement surgery. He hunted around the farm just about every day of elk season. Didn't get an elk, but did get a turkey which he said was easier to pack out. In October, he fell while changing a tire. Turns out he broke his hip, just below the ball socket. The doc misdiagnosed it as bursitis, so Dad did PT on it for 5 weeks ("Walk it off") before getting another xray that found the break. So sometimes being a tough, stolid Norwegian goes a bit too far. (Take note BigFin.) Anyway, he's healing well, back on his feet and he turns 90 in February. I'm not sure if he's got another elk season in him but I won't put it past him. Once my wife asked me if I would ever get tired of hunting. I said, "You've met my dad, haven't you?" And she hasn't asked since.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back