Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2018 WY Antelope

Flatrock

I drew a 2nd choice tag this year for Wyoming and once again, had a great time. My only regret is that I was going to take a detour over to Newcastle and hit the Pizza Barn on the way home and I totally forgot! Damnit anyways I let Cush down again. Haha. Oh well. Gives me 1 more reason to go back there again next year!

I got there before season started and scouted out as many bucks as I could find. It was also fun getting some pics of those bucks. Got setup on the best one opening morning and was able to get him. One tip though is that if you do some longer range practicing out to 500 yards before your hunt, don't forget to turn your dial back down when you're done. Wow my stupidity amazes me sometimes.... Good thing the buck gave me a 2nd shot. Live and learn!

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0621 (2).jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0551 (2).jpg

IMG_0554 (2).jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0603 (2).jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

One thing that has worked well for me is to take a piece of plastic drop cloth to set the meat on while I'm quartering the animal. Then debone, let the meat cool a little if it needs to and then put it into 2 gallon Ziploc bags. Makes it easy to put in the cooler as well. Obviously that wouldn't be a good idea on an elk in the early season but if you're taking all the meat out right away, it works well.

Great pics and a stud buck, nicely done. I like the 'two headed muley' pic, haha. Cool to see a badger too, couple years ago i damn near stepped on one, which would not have been a fun time.

Nice one. It really is fun to get out there and find the one you want and then turn him up on opening day like that.

That's a fantastic buck - even moreso for a second choice tag. I've been doing similar with a piece of tarp to lay the quarters on while I cut. It weighs nothing and keeps everything nice and clean until I can get it into game bags.

Super afield photos. Wyoming pictures often are overexposed, you have managed that quite well. I think I smell damp sage through my computer screen.

Back