Greetings from a Wisconsin Noob

alpinewanderer

Hello everyone,

Just joined the board here to share experiences and learn as much as I can about hunting. I've been an avid outdoor enthusiast all my life. My primary passions have been technical rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering and I've travelled the world in pursuit of these sports. After all these years of looking to the mountains and backcountry as as place for climbing pursuits it seems like a natural progression to realize it's also a place to get really good food. I went through hunter ed when I was a kid but never really kept up with hunting after that. No one in my family hunts so this has been a DIY journey in every way. I look forward to learning from everyone here.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome, it seems like you are already way ahead of the curve of many "adult onset hunters" as you are familiar with outdoors activity, and presumable know how to "embrace the suck" that is sometimes required of humans v nature activities.

I might suggest finding someone that has some mentoring capabilities and shorten the learning curve of a new hunter. Randy Newberg, Hunter on YouTube offers tons of insight, as do many others. Fire up the podcasts and learn from others how to do it, or conversely, learn from others mistakes and try not to repeat those blunders.

It might be time to re-take hunters safety, get well fitted with your armament (bow, rifle) and practice many hours before ever bearing said weapon on a living creature. Melding those new skills and way of thinking into your current outside passions, I would think it will add to your outdoors enjoyment.

For anyone considering that hunting is a cheaper way to put food on the table, there are few of us if we really penciled it out would say it makes dollars and cents to procure ones own protein from the wild. But YOU did it, and YOU took care of it, and you will value that free range turkey way more than any store bought, genetic freak of a bird wrapped in plastic with a pop-up timer telling you when it is done baking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back