PEAX Equipment

New to mule deer please help

WVpseguy

Hello everyone as the title says I'm new to mule deer hunting and I'm so confused with the way western states do things. I live in West Virginia and here we just buy tags and go hunting, no zones and point systems. I'm an avid whitetail hunter and I'm wanting to chase spot and stalk mulie. I am not set on 1 specific state, I just want something that's over they counter or easy to draw. I have no clue of good public land or anything. I'm willing to hike in and get away from the crowd. My expectations aren't high either would like.to get a 120 class buck or so but if not then so be it. If you guys could help get me started I would appreciate the info. I will be rifle hunting and I'm planning it for 2019. Thank you guys so much.

I am open to archery also since that's all I hunt with back home. I just want to give myself the highest chance of success possible

There's a whole lot of information on this site. Use the search tool and you'll have plenty of reading on how to find muleys and possibly some information on where to hunt them. Best of luck to you! Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard. Join mule deer foundation and read the magazine from cover to cover. Lots of books in the library is a good place to look.

Welcome to the forum from MS! Mule deer seem to be a lot easier than whitetail (public land) from my experience. There is a whole lot of info on here already so just use the search function. Good luck on your hunt!

Go on the fish and game websites for CO, CA, UT, WY, ID or MT. Look at the draw statistics to determine which units are easy to draw and read the regs to see if the states have OTC tags for non-residents and if so which units. Compare the units you find in this search to each states webmap... every state has one (or get onxmaps) try to find units that have lots of public land; BLM or USFS.

Once you have nailed down the state, season, and unit you want to hunt in begin reading about deer biology and yearly movement patterns and then work to determine where the deer will be in the unit you chose during the season you are hunting.

Go put your boots on the ground. You might not be successful in getting the buck you want your first season or even your second, but you will learn a ton and going through the whole process will teach you how to refine your unit and spot selection.

(Also figure out what kind of experience you are looking for, do you want to stay in a hotel, car camp, or backpack some units lend themselves to one type of hunting more than others)

You can still buy a preference point for 2018 for Wyoming before the end of this month. That's enough to get you a general tag in some areas. Then you can go to WY and hunt with archery equipment early in the season (Sept.) for an additional $70 on top of the price of your regular tag. If unsuccessful in filling that tag you can then return to WY in Oct. for the rifle season for another attempt at filling that same tag.

If you want to archery hunt only then SD is a good option. You can get a west River archery tag and hunt half of the state. You only need to apply for it about a month before your hunt, and you don't need preference points.

These are the only two states that I have some knowledge on to speak about but I'm sure there are other options. I was the same as you, buy a tag, hunt entire state here in Iowa. It takes a while to learn this stuff but dive in, the research is fun and frustrating at the same time, but rewarding when you draw and punch a tag!

Thanks for the info..... hopefully I can find a local on here to help me out further

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back