First elk

Beanland_fan

I’ve read elk hunting threads since I joined this forum, and fueled my desire to hunt elk. I had to pass up an opportunity at a bull elk hunt in Wyoming last year, so when we were booking our combo hunt with Bear Track Outfitters in Buffalo Wyoming and TJ said he could give us a shot at cow elk instead of antelope this year, I took 1 second to say “sign me up!”

As I watched the weather forecast for WY, it became apparent we’d be hiking quite a bit more than normal, so I decided to take the Beanland 7mm08 that I picked up here a few years back but had not bloodied (thanks Frank!). I decided to use the factory Nosler 140 grain E-tip ammo that Shooters Pro Shop had for sale for $22.50/box a few months back. With talley LW and a S&B Klassik 3-12x42 precision hunter scope, it weighs about 7.5 lbs unloaded.

After spending the first three days hunting our muleys, we hunted a new ranch up north by Arvada. For an Indiana boy, the sunrise on Thursday morning was something I’ll never forget.

We spent the entire day trying to find some elk, with only one break for a cheeseburger lunch at the world renowned Arvada Bar.

That evening it started raining again so we needed to change our plans again.

Last edited:
Thursday night we talked with a couple other guides and TJ agreed that we should go back to another ranch that had a herd of 10-12 elk. With three hunters with cow/calf tags and no elk down, we knew the odds were not in our favor for the final day of the hunt.
Friday morning broke clear and cold, with a good hard frost and 28 degree temp. After about an hour of glassing, Tom and his guide spotted a bedded calf. We went back to join them and started glassing, and after about 15 minutes we spotted the lead cow taking the herd up a ridge. Using my Leica Geovid HD-R 1400 yard binos (which worked a heck of a lot better than the POS Sig 2000 I took 2 years ago), I ranged them at 1389 yards and moving up the draw and across the ridge. So we devised a plan that had Tom going after the calf (he wanted the veal), Rick and I and our guide Mark started hoofing it up and around the ridge to try to connect.

As we were approaching the first draw that the elk had moved up and over, we bumped 3 mule deer does and they blew up the ridge, then stopped and slowed down. We skirted left, getting out of their sight, and after waiting 10 minutes, started our approach again. Using the base of the ridge to keep hidden, we then managed to get across the draw and start working our way up and around the ridge to the right. Tom waited until we were out of sight before moving in on the calf.

We skirted around the ridge, gaining elevation until we were about 3/4 of the way up and in the rocks and hardscrabble. Kind of tough to not kick rocks down as you’re trying to gain the edge! As we kept rounding the curve of the ridge, Mark saw the herd and motioned to get down and move up and around him to get set up on them. I’m sure you seasoned elk hunters have experienced this, but trying to set up when you’re on a ridge that slopes down steeply to your right while it curves left to your 10 o’clock, and getting on an elk that is across the ridge to your 2 o’clock, teaches you new body contortion positions. Right then I was thinking I should have listened to my wife and taken yoga classes with her...

There were two bulls, 5-6 cows and a few calves in the herd. After finding two cows that were separated from the others, Rick and I agreed we’d try to shoot at the same time. Mark ranged them at 370 yards. Again, the Leica worked precisely.... at the count of 3, 2, shoot - Rick shot and I flinched from his shot, then settled back on my elk and fired. And I missed. The herd moved a little to the right, and I located another mature cow that was almost broadside to me, took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger. Whomp...

All of a sudden I saw an elk to the left of mine start to cartwheel down the ridge. Then 3 seconds later the elk I shot did the same thing, about 30 yards from the first. A double!!

Rick’s elk

My elk

A better pic with a rifle, sling, scope and binocular:

Last edited:
About 10 minutes after we shot, we heard a shot ring out and hoped that Tom had connected too. Hiked back to get the truck, and then coming back we found Tom and his wife and their guide Lane with the calf. They piled into the truck and we went and got ours.

We were able to get the truck up the draw so it wouldn’t be a 1/2 mile pack out

The guides were kind of fun to be around after that.

3 elk can sure fill a truck bed

And then when the week’s hunt was truly over, we enjoyed the best beer west of the Mississippi - Blacktooth Brewing.

So gear that worked for me:

1. I wore an underarmour heat gear long sleeve T-shirt as a base layer every day, topped by a Kuhl merino wool 1/4 zip sweater. Bottom base was a North Face medium weight running long johns. All of them worked great at drawing sweat away from my body. Over those I wore my Cabela’s MT050 gore Tex pants and coat. On my feet were Kenetrek liners and medium weight socks and Cabela’s Meindl lightweight 400 gram insulated boots. After watching Randy’s Alaska Dall sheep hunt, I also purchased a set of Kenetrek gaiters at The Sports Lure in Buffalo when we got to town on Sunday. Those were life savers for walking in the snow, sleet and rain during the week. I put over 40 miles on my boots and had no blisters (just sore legs after the first two days!).

2. Rifle is a Beanland built 7mm08 with 22.5” barrel. McMillan Classic Edge ADL stock, talley LW lows and a S&B Klassik 3-12x42 precision hunter scope with P3 reticle. Montana sling and Harris bipod. All up with bipod it was about 8.5 lbs.

3. Ammo was Nosler factory 140 grain E-tip, chronographing 2,780 fps from my rifle. The shot was 370 yards so I dialed 1.2 mils and the elevation dial worked perfectly for a double lung shot right where I was aiming. After the hunt I realized my scope was only on 8 power - so the benefit of a FFP scope worked great. I wasn’t entirely sure about the E-tip after my mule deer kill earlier in the week, but it expanded nicely through the lungs and exited with a nice hole.

4. Outfitter - I can highly recommend Bear Track Outfitters, owner TJ Tavegie, and guides (Mark, Lane, Roman, Kelly, Bill, and Jerald). TJ was tickled pink to be able to call the landowner and tell him we got three elk that wouldn’t be eating his grass any longer. Our guide Mark had two deer drags of a mile or more (mine was nothing short of a SOB) and with our help, we pulled it off. I can’t say enough good things about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back