Taxidermist

netman

I shot a nice mule deer this year and it was my first muley. I took it to a local taxidermist who does absolutely fantastic work. I dropped off my muley and my antelope with him. I did not even ask what he charges not thinking about the bill that I will get in several months.
I was telling a few buddies about my trip and my good fortunes. They asked me where I took the heads. I told them and they chuckled. They asked me if I inquired about the price. No was my answer. One of the guys said your tab will be $750.00 per head. Holy moly!
Do you guys use a local taxidermist or do you send your heads off to someone? Im asking as I plan to be spending way more time out west hunting in addition to hunting the Midwest like I have been for many years.
What prices do you pay for your mounts?

Depending on the work, 740 isn't out of the possibility. It's a bit higher than mine. I get a pedestal mount for 675.

I’m one state to the north. Here is SW Michigan, I paid 400 and he did really good work. You will have to post some pics.

Congrats on a successful hunt.

They run $650-$750 around here for antelope and deer. A lot of taxidermists offer coupons for $675 when tags come out.

My mule deer was $650, my antelope will be $600 when done, from different taxidermists. Frankly, with taxidermy the "you get what you pay for" rule applies as well, I've seen some budget-priced mounts that LOOK like budget-priced mounts, not something I'd want on my wall!

Last edited:
I agree, all mine have run in the 650-750 range for deer and antelope. I have a friend who does some taxidermy and I have seen what he goes through when he mounts an animal... its a ton of work and the smell isn't great either lol. I would gladly pay in that price range for a quality mount that really shows off the animal.

I believe the current pricing for a standard shoulder mount for the taxidermist I've been using is $575. Add $125 for a shoulder wall pedestal mount. I think the extra $125 is well worth it, I greatly prefer the look of the wall pedestal mounts over the standard shoulder mounts.

I've seen some expensive mounts that were terrible and some cheap mounts that were very good. You don't always get what you pay for. But I would always want to look at the guys work before handing them anything. If you have been happy with the guys work in the past that is worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

Amazing how expensive it's gotten for shoulder mounts. I switched to euros years ago as I would rather spend $ on another tag than spend the $ on a shoulder mount.

Taxidermist are a different breed. Some are really good, professional, timely, etc... Others are guys who's work varies, hard to get a hold of, try to gouge you, ridiculous turnaround times, dont' return phone calls, don't have a website, etc...

Look for guys who have been around a while, have a nice shop, website, social media page, and act professionally. If a taxidermist gets $750 he is likely very skilled to get that much, or he just saw you as a sucker and is bending you over since you didn't ask about price (huge mistake to drop off heads without asking about price IMO).

Congrats on your hunt.

$675 for a pedestal mount, did that that also include the pedestal? If so, do you use someone here in the Bitterroot/Missoula area?

It was wall mounted. The pedestal mounting just brings it off the wall a bit, makes it look like its walking out of the wall, without legs. I used Taxidermy Unlimited in Missoula. I have nothing but great things to say about him (other than his timeline, like all taxidermists, is different than the rest of the world). He has a mulie of mine right now, and hopefully a rosie this next month.

It was wall mounted. The pedestal mounting just brings it off the wall a bit, makes it look like its walking out of the wall, without legs. I used Taxidermy Unlimited in Missoula. I have nothing but great things to say about him (other than his timeline, like all taxidermists, is different than the rest of the world). He has a mulie of mine right now, and hopefully a rosie this next month.

Have any pics?

Our last 4 shoulder mounts
Deer shoulder $825 estimated (hasn't been finished)
Deer pedestal $875+ freeze dry velvet antlers $350ish? I did the pedestal.
Elk $850 + rock/vegetation $250
Deer wall pedestal $875 + rock/vegetation $250ish

Seems like my guy is in the ballpark. His work is fabulous and I have friends from all over the US that send there animals to him after seeing his work. It’s been a looooooong time since I had anything mounted and just wasn’t up to speed on pricing.

Back