First Archery Elk-MT-SO FUN

LukeDuke

Simply put, our 2018 Montana archery season was action packed. We had five in our party this year and our tags included a limited entry tag for the huntress in our group, an antlerless tag for myself, and three general unit tags. We had six days and we hit the ground running, with the huntress taking her bull on day one, followed by her husband taking a cow on day two, and then I followed up with my cow on day three. For the huntress and I, it was our first ever archery elk and I couldn’t imagine being any more excited.

I have been close to notching my tag in previous archery seasons…14 yds to be exact..LOL, but things just didn’t work out. I chalked those up to learning experiences and just tried to get better each time we went out. The balance of this trip came with some very close calls, but it just didn’t come together for the other two tag holders.

Looking back, we had the opportunity to draw back on three elk and we came out of the mountains with three elk so we are extremely pleased and thankful for that result. For me, the coolest part was being “in” the elk each day and actually slowing down and remembering how we bungled opportunities in previous seasons and then adjusting our plan to try and put one on the ground. It was an outstanding archery season and now I get to head back out there in a couple of weeks and help my wife try to fill her first elk tag. I cannot wait to share that experience with her, and who knows, maybe it will be a year of firsts for the both of us😊

We also gave our buddy and my brother a metric ton of crap for his cow picture. We told him it looks like he harvested a young horse based on the position of the cows ears!! My brother was behind the camera, so he is equally as guilty...LOL

Oh and if someone can tell me how to flip the bull pic so it's not upside down, I would be grateful. I tried to save it different ways and it still flips it?

Best of luck to everybody this fall.

Attachments

• file1-8.jpeg
    file1-8.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 497
  • file2-1.jpg
    file2-1.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 494
  • file-51.jpeg
    file-51.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 493
Back