Trying to find a white tail hunt.

mevertsen

I am a Nevada Hunter. I have had the itch for some time to hunt white tail. My daughter is now of age to hunt, so I am trying to find a hunt that both of us could take next year.

I have a few ideas, but not all seem to be ideal. I am open to other options if I can find them.

Things that I would like:

October rifle hunt, OTC or 1 point requirement where I could purchase a point this year, public or easily accessible private land and two day drive from Central Nevada with the family.

Last year my daughter got a doe in South Dakota. I could draw a white tail permit there with one point, but the seasons are late. I did like where we hunted last year.

Wyoming looks ok, region A and B, but some of the land seems to be challenging for access for deer, easier for antelope. I could be missing something here, as there is a lot of stuff to Wade through.

Idaho has hunt timing that is ok, but the harvest success on those general hunts is horrible, which concerns me.

I have not looked into Montana at all yet. Nebraska, Colorado, and Kansas are options as well.

I am even open to the idea of a private land tresspass type hunt.

Any ideas would be great.

Thank you.

South Dakota can be promising but the rifle season is in November.

Farther east May be an option.

October - yes. I predator hunt, and all the deer hunts here are done by 11/5, so the last couple weeks of October I spend getting the dogs in shape, then it's balls to the wall after deer season closes here. Traveling in weather is also an issue, as well as having fair weather for my wife and younger daughter to be able to enjoy the trip and go fishing or sight seeing.

This is just pretty challenging because I am so used to deer and antelope hunting in August and September. My daughter had a youth deer tag this year, and she filled that last weekend. Hunting deer in November seems foreign to me because of how we protect mule deer in the rut so much here.

Iowas gun seasons are in December. Late Muzzleloader season is around Dec. 20 ish till Jan. 10 - maybe that is after your predator hunts and during her Christmas break from school?

We met some guys (one from HT) at Wyoming Region B last week, (6,7,8) , that had whitetail tags. They struggled. They did shoot 2 nice whitetail bucks late in the week once they got permission for some private land ag fields. Not sure if they paid a trespass fee or not.

I predator hunt from November to April. I would prefer to not interrupt that, if possible. I think this may just be a thing that I would have to plan out a couple of years rather than try for next year. If i could do that, I could make it work around the predator hunting.

What you said about Wyoming concerns me. Difficult access and low odds of success. I know hunting is not guarantee, but if I am hunting, I will hunt hard and do everything I can to be successful.

5-6 months of predator hunting ?? I'd say taking a week off and taking your daughter deer hunting would be a welcome break. The coyotes would appreciate it also! Good luck in your search.

Yes. Lion hunting to be specific. I have 6 hounds that get hunted hard the entire winter and spring. It is a big part of my life. I do coyote hunt as well, but that is secondary to lions.

I agree that a break is nice.

I did look at Iowa. The odds don't look too bad and the access doesn't seem too horrible. It's a two solid day drive for us to get there.

Could we talk more about it via phone? I can pm you my number.

I wouldn't take a whitetail trip outside of the rut, but then again I don't do any predator hunting. Good luck!

I managed to tag a nice whitetail and okay Mule deer two years in a row in Wyoming region A. Headed back there again this year for with another deer tag. If your interested in taking your daughter to that area shoot me a PM.

Is a hunt exchange an option? I'm in central KY we actually have a youth gun season that was this weekend. I have a 15yo son trying get him different hunting ops.

Given your parameters a region b hunt in wyoming might be the trick. There is some access issues but its doable. For whutetail a trespass fee may not be necesary, especially for a doe.

Trade a lion hunt for a private land alfalfa field oct whitetail hunt. Win Win

I have hunted Idaho three times now in the last 10 yrs, with the fourth season this fall. The Whitetail only hunt allows you to be able to hunt the rut or use your dear tag to harvest a Bear or Cougar with an out of state tag. You are allowed to hunt the months of September throug December 1st. Not a bad deal especially when a Jr mentored tag/license is attached for an additional $90. It is a good place to start a young hunter with the any centerfire rifle modern season and lots of public land to hunt.

Last edited:
I will send a few PM's.

Regarding the Idaho junior hunt idea- that would require me to have a license and tag as well. Cost isn't a huge concern though. Still concerned with the harvest success, especially for bucks.

No trade a hunts for me. I am not a guide, and taking anything for a hunt would be a big no-no. I have no problem helping anyone who wants to apply for tags here, but won't do anything that could be considered a trade.

For me, I want a buck. I am not opposed to hunting does, but I can shoot a meat buck or get a doe tag here and be happy. My daughter also has the next four years of junior tags which allows 3 months of hunting archery, muzzleloader and rifle, either sex. So this would realistically be a once in a blue moon type hunt.

Last edited:
After looking at the Idaho information some more, I think that may be a reasonable option. Where I was looking the other day was for the mid 20's areas and the harvest success was in the teens percentage wise.

It looks like the panhandle has much better success rates.

My 2 cents...Check into Montana, we have whitetails and a youth hunt that starts just before general season. I like whitetails for kids, we just sit, wait, have the gun set up on the shooting sticks and it's a nice setup for a good clean close up shot for them. It's worked real well for me with both my kids and wife too, heck I even like it sometimes. Also while I agree you'll see more buck activity in the rut, I have seen some of the best (biggest) early on. They're pretty easy to find too, river bottoms being the first place to look.

It's pretty simple to go to either Wisconsin or Minnesota during the rifle seasons. No points needed. The only challenge is finding a place usually. Do you guys bow hunt? Usually states in the midwest don't have open rifle seasons until at least early November. But if you're willing to bow hunt there are plenty of great places to try out that aren't nearly as pressured. It would also open up a bunch more states.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back