Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Trying to find a white tail hunt.

Could also do an Ohio archery hunt, but use a crossbow. Totally legal, and the season runs from the end of September until January, and tags are stupid cheap. Wayne National Forest, in SE Ohio, has plenty of deer, and spots to camp.

After looking at the Idaho information some more, I think that may be a reasonable option. Where I was looking the other day was for the mid 20's areas and the harvest success was in the teens percentage wise.

It looks like the panhandle has much better success rates.
The population densities of whitetails are dramatically greater north of the Salmon River in Idaho. "Success rates" might be a misnomer when used in reference to hunter success in the southern or central units you mentioned simply because whitetail deer are present in very small numbers or nonexistent. You can find them as far south as the Big Lost River Valley, extreme southeast Idaho and even northern Utah. And over the counter tags are available for nonresident hunters in Idaho though I suspect obtaining a tag for northern Utah might be considerably more difficult.

Oklahoma youth season is in October. Some decent hunts on WMA land. Had really good success with sons when they were younger. Annual overall harvest usually around 100000 deer with 50ish% success rate.

Oklahoma has a late October muzzleloader hunt which usually falls about the time the chasing and cruising part of the rut starts to hit high gear. I've seen more bucks chasing during daylight hours during muzzleloader season or the week after than anytime before or after. I know it's not a rifle hunt but it's worth looking into.

What I would recommend is finding a place with a dedicated youth season. No reason for her to compete with every dick head wearing orange unless you have to.

Youth opportunities that I am aware of.
Oklahoma youth rifle season is Oct 20-22. You could also archery hunt during her rifle season but the Muzzleloader season is the following week (Oct 28-Nov 5)which could also be an option as the public land in Oklahoma is not nearly as bad during muzzleloader season as it is during rifle.

Kansas. This is one of the best hunting opportunities available for kids IMO. An interesting option is to go during the end of the youth season as well as the first part of the muzzlelaoder season, something like Sept 14-18. Or you could just archery hunt while she is rifle hunting. Kids licenses are fairly inexpensive compared to adults (over $500).
2018 DEER SEASON DATES:
Youth and Disability Season: Sept. 8 - Sept. 16, 2018
Early Muzzleloader Season: Sept. 17 - Sept. 30, 2018
Archery Season: Sept. 17 - Dec. 31, 2018
Pre-Rut Firearm Whitetail Antlerless Season: Oct. 6 - Oct. 8, 2018. Any permit that allows the harvest of a whitetailed antlerless deer is valid during this season. Equipment and unit restrictions on permit imposed. Ft Riley Unit CLOSED for pre-rut season. Hunter orange clothing is required.
Firearms Season: Nov. 28 - Dec. 9, 2018

Nebraska does not have a dedicated youth season, but kids tags are only $5. If she is ff during December that is a neat time to muzzle loader hunt and is not crowded.
Season dates
Archery: Sept. 1, 2018 – Dec. 31, 2018
November firearm: Nov. 10, 2018 – Nov. 18, 2018
Muzzleloader: Dec. 1, 2018 – Dec. 31, 2018
Late firearm (antlerless only): Jan. 1, 2019 – Jan. 15, 2019

But in the end it sounds like you are really looking for a private land hunt so most anything in Wyoming would fit the bill.

Thanks for all the tips guys. There is a lot of information to digest.

Archery hunt? We are down for that possibly, but not a huge priority. My daughter got a bow this year, but was not able to get up to the minimum weight requirement before the season started. We do not have crossbows. Not opposed to them, just don't have them. That would be a whole new learning curve.

I prefer to muzzleloader hunt here in Nevada. My daughter did get a couple chances this year with my old one, but did not connect. She did connect with one 150 yard shot from her 243 though.

I think we may stick to Idaho. It looks like the best option at this point with earlier seasons, a shorter drive, and reduced fees for junior. Also, I don't have to worry about getting shut down crossing Wyoming, as I have been several time before, my luck is not good there.

Also, not looking specifically for a private land hunt, but it seems for a lot of the more Western States that white tail deer is synonymous with private. She did kill her deer on private last year in South Dakota, thanks to that program there, but the season was before the archery season even started.

I am more wanting to get the whitetail, but she likes hunting as well, so I want to be sure she has that opportunity as well.

The Kansas dates also look like something we would enjoy. I also have to keep in mind my wife and younger daughter who like to fish. We do everything we can together. Not many three year olds that can say they have been to a lion tree, and can tell you what a deer is good for. "we eat it!!!"

Last edited:
Also, not looking specifically for a private land hunt, "

I just assumed that you were based on this as it sounds a lot like guys who are fishing for a private land hunt but don't want to say it. "Open to" normally means "Does anyone have a landowner contact who offers trespass hunts they want to share?". "Easily accessible private land" normally means land that can be accessed for a trespass fee as opposed to a guided hunt.

Things that I would like:

October rifle hunt, OTC or 1 point requirement where I could purchase a point this year, public or easily accessible private land and two day drive from Central Nevada with the family.

I am even open to the idea of a private land tresspass type hunt.

I apologize if that's not what you meant.

The population densities of whitetails are dramatically greater north of the Salmon River in Idaho. "Success rates" might be a misnomer when used in reference to hunter success in the southern or central units you mentioned simply because whitetail deer are present in very small numbers or nonexistent. You can find them as far south as the Big Lost River Valley, extreme southeast Idaho and even northern Utah. And over the counter tags are available for nonresident hunters in Idaho though I suspect obtaining a tag for northern Utah might be considerably more difficult.

There's no real whitetail population in northern Utah. There are a few seen here and there, but not enough to worry about. Plus, most of those tags are hard to draw without a point, and you can't buy a point right now in Utah. If I was considering Idaho, I'd go as far north as possible.

I just assumed that you were based on this as it sounds a lot like guys who are fishing for a private land hunt but don't want to say it. "Open to" normally means "Does anyone have a landowner contact who offers trespass hunts they want to share?". "Easily accessible private land" normally means land that can be accessed for a trespass fee as opposed to a guided hunt.

I apologize if that's not what you meant.

No worries. Trust me, I don't beat around the bush. I am not looking for a hookup or a friend's deal. What I am talking about, regarding easily accessible, are States such as South Dakota and Wyoming with the walk in and hunt management areas that are on private, which are accessible to everyone, even if a tresspass fee may be required.

Edit ... I understand the managed lands don't require a tresspass fee. Wyoming does list landowners in some regions for certain soecies, mostly in regards to depredation issues, and some say a tresspass fee may be required.

I actually have a cousin who is marrie I to a ranching family in southern Wyoming. Nt many WT on their property. I do need to research A and B some more, and appreciate the offers from the couple here with the pointers. If a person does look at the walk in areas in those regions, it's mostly for antelope, or the deer tresspass dates are later than I desire.

What I am wanting is something where I can get the tags for my daughter and I, load the entire family in the truck, and spend a week hunting for deer and fishing. That is what we did last year in South Dakota, but it was September, and the weather was mild, though rainy.

We camped out all week at a nice state park, kept a couple coolers in the back of the truck and enjoyed ourselves. We didn't really have a time schedule, other than getting back to camp at night and waking up the next morning.

Last edited:
In Idaho, the farthest south unit I am looking at are 6 and 8a with the St Joe section of the forest. I have also looked at 1 near Priest.

I will try to get some PM's out today. I have been working, and just getting words in on my tablet when I have a chance to before and after work and between daddy duties and honey do's.

Last edited:
No worries. Trust me, I don't beat around the bush. I am not looking for a hookup or a friend's deal. What I am talking about, regarding easily accessible, are States such as South Dakota and Wyoming with the walk in and hunt management areas that are on private, which are accessible to everyone, even if a tresspass fee may be required.

There is no trespass fee required on walk in or HMA property. If it's open for public hunting there is no fee to access.

Did you pay a fee to hunt walk in or HMA land last year in SD?

No, I just forgot a couple words. Wyoming has landowner lists as well, and some say "may require tresspass fee". The programs in South Dakota and Wyoming for the WIA and HMA areas did not require a fee.

No, I just forgot a couple words. Wyoming has landowner lists as well, and some say "may require tresspass fee". The programs in South Dakota and Wyoming for the WIA and HMA areas did not require a fee.

I have never seen any walk in or HMA land in Wyoming that required a fee. Link?

Yes. Lion hunting to be specific. I have 6 hounds that get hunted hard the entire winter and spring. It is a big part of my life. I do coyote hunt as well, but that is secondary to lions.

I agree that a break is nice.

I did look at Iowa. The odds don't look too bad and the access doesn't seem too horrible. It's a two solid day drive for us to get there.

Could we talk more about it via phone? I can pm you my number.

I didn't read the entire thread but I can help you with Iowa.

I am not up on the rules for non residents cause I am one but if you are looking for a buck tag I am pretty sure you need 3 years to draw. I know you want to hunt with a gun but bow hunting in Iowa is so so so much better. You just see some really cool stuff during the rut here.

If you want to use a gun then and hunt public ground then I would suggest you go late Muzzle loader season. I have three kids that I hunt with and I would never ever take them out on public ground deer hunting during the shotgun seasons. It just isn't a great idea, the main way guys hunt is driving deer.

Missouri may be a good bet for gun season as they are earlier, Nebraska also. Then again the public ground in the Midwest during the gun seasons are pretty nuts.

Not sure if that helped at all. If you are interested in the late muzzy season let me know. I don't hunt a lot of public anymore but I know of a bunch of good spots that I used to hunt a lot.

Thanks for all the tips guys. There is a lot of information to digest.

Archery hunt? We are down for that possibly, but not a huge priority. My daughter got a bow this year, but was not able to get up to the minimum weight requirement before the season started. We do not have crossbows. Not opposed to them, just don't have them. That would be a whole new learning curve.

I prefer to muzzleloader hunt here in Nevada. My daughter did get a couple chances this year with my old one, but did not connect. She did connect with one 150 yard shot from her 243 though.

I think we may stick to Idaho. It looks like the best option at this point with earlier seasons, a shorter drive, and reduced fees for junior. Also, I don't have to worry about getting shut down crossing Wyoming, as I have been several time before, my luck is not good there.

Kind of back reading through this. Iowa does not have a minimum weight requirement on bows. My son killed his first archery deer at 11 and I think he was pulling at or around 33lbs. He hit the buck perfect and buried the arrow to the fletching. The arrow actually pulled out when the deer took off. He didn't go far. Limit shots under 20 it doesn't take much.

Well,. My youngest daughter may have made the decision to go to South Dakota.

The other day she asked my wife when we were going to see Mount Rushmore again? She is three right now and will be starting school the next fall, so this will be the last chance for a fall trip for a while. Our oldest is homeschooling, so it's not a big deal for her at all.

Since we went last September, and in the summer of 2014, and I have gone two or three times before that, we have become quite familiar with the area and have taken a liking to the South Hills.

I think we will get our oldest daughter a youth tag and then I will get an archery tag.

So on that note, I know there has been talk about further changes in that regard for the archery tag for non-resident hunters. Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into the matter?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back