Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A couple Texas public land hunters first Wyoming experience

Sabineshooter

First of all thanks to everyone who has helped directly and indirectly . Me and a buddy drew a unit that doesn’t have much public land access so we didn’t know what to expect .

After a 20+ hour drive we had 4 hours of daylight left when we arrived to our unit . A scouting day turned quickly into a hunting day when we started seeing antelope everywhere, the only problem is these animals have an uncanny ability to know exactly where public and private boundaries are ! After 3 hours we spotted a group that had a nice buck in it . They quickly spooked and after I sprinted about 500 yards I topped a hill and put a perfect lung shot on this guy at 350 yards ! 16CD565D-17E9-46F0-A312-345F58E3D98D.jpg 55C58D55-8D46-4125-895C-D314DDB578BB.jpg
I am truly lucky !

Day 2 : We woke up to way colder temperatures and snow inbound . At times we couldn’t see more than 100 yards away so we did a lot of “truck hunting” . We didnt see many animals at all . We had a sinking feeling today would be a total loss until we crested a hill on state land and there he was ..... my buddy was out of the truck And 100 yards away before I was even In park . He was a dandy !7DC26699-A005-4161-9D86-F8AEB149FA94.jpg

Tomorrow we are headed south for mule deer and maybe we can continue our success, if not these two antelope bucks were well worth the trip ! Thanks again everybody!!

Last edited:
Superman running down spooked antelope! Congratulations to both of you Texans
Thanks but it was all luck . They were just kind of trotting off and I stayed below the horizon until I guessed roughly where I could pop up and get a shot . They were still @350 yards when I took the shot. I got so very lucky that it all fell into place !

Nice job, thanks for sharing. Threads like this only boost my thoughts that this is one of the best years for trophy antelope in Wyoming.

Nice job, thanks for sharing. Threads like this only boost my thoughts that this is one of the best years for trophy antelope in Wyoming.
We were blown away to get these two , mine grossed 66” and his was 73” ( the best we could tell by putting the tape on them ourselves )

Great job. Your deer hunt will be a cold opener. This colder weather has brought some more deer out into view, the dry summer had us worrying about numbers we were seeing.
Get some PP for a little better area next time.

Back