Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mystery Ranch Recommendations

Brian in Montana

I've decided I'm not going to make any large purchases until after the season is over, but I'm really considering an MR pack. My style of hunting generally entails a 2 or 3 mile hike in the dark with a daypack stuffed in my big rattle-trap external frame pack along with extra layers, food, and a couple game bags. I will stash the frame pack somewhere in case it's needed, but I certainly don't haul it around while hunting. Too bulky, awkward, and loud. I think one of the MR models would probably do it all. I guess I'm leaning toward a Metcalf, but dropiing $500+ on a pack isn't a small thing. Any recommendations? Not sure how they fit. I not a big guy, about 6' and weigh 175.

I'm thinking I might drive over to Bozeman at some point to see some in person, but I thought I'd also put it out there and ask. The Cabelas rattle-trap I mentioned has served me well, but I'd be happy to retire it if I had something better.

I purchased a Metcalf this summer and I love it. I would try them on to get the sizing right. I had a tenzing tz 6000 and the MR is night and day better.

We brought a MR Pintler and a MR Mule on our recent WY trip. The pintler was just right for day hunting 4-5 miles from truck. The mule was a little small and we had to clip/strap a few items to it. We left the Metcalf at home as not needed for day hunts (but if you need to both pack in and day hunt it does strap down fairly small). If you know you only are going day hunting I would grab a Pintler. If you are doing both I would get Metcalf and try it for days, if you don't like it for days you can buy the pintler (or mule) bag separately to swap onto the frame. But if you buy pintler or mule with frame you can NOT buy metcalf bag alone (at least for now). They were worth every penny (got on nice sale at Scheels so I would watch their website through the fall/winter if I didn't need it right away). FWIW - there are rumors of a new MR pack coming out for 2019 so you may want to wait and see.

MR Metcalf will do it all. You could go down to the Mule if you'd like and get similar capability. Also save you about $100. If you don't care about camo pattern, I've seen Metcalfs on sale for pretty good price. Also note that there was a redesign this year, so make sure you keep that in the equation. I've got a few animals on mine now and am very happy with it.

I'm not sure if it holds true with the newer Mystery Ranch models but MR tends to be a bit heavy? I noticed the Metcalf weighs a little over 6 lbs. That seems mighty heavy for a 4,300 cu in pack? When I was searching for a hunting pack I had it narrowed down to either Kifaru or Stone Glacier. It sounds like you are trying to save cash? I bought a new/almost new Kifaru setup for around 1/2 price. If you have patience you can likely find a great deal on Kifaru or SG almost new pack for around 1/2 price on Rokslide and other classified sections. To me it's worth the expense to buy the very best available!

Another word of advice....if you do much backpack type hunting you may want something in the 6,000+ cu in range? You can always cinch down larger bags but if you don't have room you are screwed. It may take an extra trip or 2 hauling out game....especially if you are carrying camp, capes, oversized antlers, etc!

I got the Cabinet this year and love it so far. I have hauled weight around training, and have done some day hikes but yet to haul an animal. The fit adjustment is easy and it is super stable when loaded as well as quiet. The bag isn't very big BUT the 2 side ponds are cavernous and make it so you could reasonably pack a couple of days worth of stuff. I just added the Kifaru universal gun bearer as well and am really looking forward to this season.

I just added the Kifaru universal gun bearer as well and am really looking forward to this season.

I loved mine last week. My two buddies mocked it on the morning of day one, and both were ready to order one by the end of the week.

My friend bought each of us himself and I each the:

Eberlestock X-1 (which I consider the ultimate daypack but not meat hauler)

And

Alps Commander frame hauler with the load shelf (great meat hauler)

After seeing what the Metcalf will carry when expanded as well as how small it can hunt..................,

I would trade both of my packs for a Metcalf.

What about the Glacier? Its not "technically" a hunting pack, but it's 4200ci, looks to have lots of compression straps, and is about half the price of the Metcalf.

I loved mine last week. My two buddies mocked it on the morning of day one, and both were ready to order one by the end of the week.

I can't imagine how many of those gun bearer emails I've responded to over the years. Enough that Mrs. Fin has a standard reply she copies and pastes when the email comes in.

That said, I've been working on a better solution with Mystery Ranch. Going over on Monday to pick up prototype #3 and use it for the next three rifle hunts.

As for packs, I suspect if you buy a Metcalf and invest time in experimenting with all the ways it can be used, you will find it fits every need you have from a day pack to a load hauler.

What about the Glacier? Its not "technically" a hunting pack, but it's 4200ci, looks to have lots of compression straps, and is about half the price of the Metcalf.

Lacks the frame for heavy meat hauling.

Go Pintler or Metcalf. You’ll own it for the rest of your life.

Brian

I have a "new" Mystery ranch crew cab ordered new in January 2013. Never used comes with 3 load cells, day pack lid, upgraded waist belt. All multi cam. Waist belt size L 38" - 46", yoke M 5'9 - 6'4". Paid $807.36. Will trade for other gear or sell for $450.

Randy

I bought a mystery ranch selway this year. I love it. It packed 4 mile deer out on our hunt I just got back from yesterday. It was roomy and very comfortable to wear even with a load. I also run the kifaru gun bearer, wouldn’t dream of going any other way. The selway is in size between a pintler and metcalf, built like pintler. I can’t say anything bad about it!

Kind of looks like the Metcalf and Selway use the same frame, it's just that the bag is bigger on the Metcalf. Is that right?

Kind of looks like the Metcalf and Selway use the same frame, it's just that the bag is bigger on the Metcalf. Is that right?

It is on the same frame and includes the meat shelf functionality. It is the same bag design as the pintler, but a little bigger - but still smaller than a Metcalf. I goes Mule, Cabinet, Pintler, Selway, Metcalf, Marshall.

Well, I did it. Optics planet had the Metcalf on sale for $390. I figured I should go ahead and pull the trigger. If it doesn't work out, Maybe you'll see it on the classifieds.

I got the Cabinet this year and love it so far. I have hauled weight around training, and have done some day hikes but yet to haul an animal. The fit adjustment is easy and it is super stable when loaded as well as quiet. The bag isn't very big BUT the 2 side ponds are cavernous and make it so you could reasonably pack a couple of days worth of stuff.

I second this. The “main” bag is o the crammed side, but the side pockets have ample capacity. Great pack so far.

Look what showed up just in time for the weekend!

My daughter said the camo pattern "looks like Minecraft."

Attachments

• 20181102_161027.jpg
    20181102_161027.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 235
Just saw that GoHunt as several MR packs on black Friday sale. I picked up my Pintler there during a Memorial Day sale for ~$365 or so.
I love the Pintler but for back home here in the East mostly day hunting out of stands and blinds I’m waiting on the Mule (bag only) to go on sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back