Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mystery Ranch Recommendations

So the MR Metcalf was my companion on several weekend hunts as well as a 5 night mulie hunt. I used it to pack out a smallish cow elk( about 1 mile) and a big mule deer (about 2.5 miles). I'd have to say I'm pretty well convinced. High quality equipment and a definite upgrade from what I was using.

I can't imagine how many of those gun bearer emails I've responded to over the years. Enough that Mrs. Fin has a standard reply she copies and pastes when the email comes in.

That said, I've been working on a better solution with Mystery Ranch. Going over on Monday to pick up prototype #3 and use it for the next three rifle hunts..

I'd be curious for an update on this. I just bought a MR Mule and I rigged my Gun Bearer like the Stone Glacier version because I prefer to carry behind the shoulder as opposed to under the arm.

So I wanted to chime in since this thread had a lot to do with the pack I bought. I ended up finding a lightly used Cabinet in camo. Didn't care so much for the color, but the price was a screaming good deal. Used it this month for deer/elk hunting with family in Montana. The pack was a total dream to use. Super light for day hunts and because the meat shelf is literally a "shelf", I used the center of the pack as a "dumping zone" for my jacket, gloves and just anything I would want on short notice and not have to dig into my pack or make noise with a zipper.

The side "pontoon" pockets are the only difference with the Mule and they are great to have. Not only for the extra storage space, but also because you don't have to worry about stuff falling out the sides if you use the "meat hauling" area as a dumping zone like I did.

This is what I like about the pack more than the Pintler which is strongly considered. Just the ability to "stuff" literally anything into the center of pack vs. having to unzip the pack to put stuff away was a much bigger benefit than I would have imagined. Yes the Pintler has more storage capacity INSIDE the bag. but you can store a lot of stuff in the Cabinet if you include the meat hauling area which also is a lot easier to use on the Cabinet than on the Pintler. Hard to explain, and maybe I didn't know how to do it properly, but you can to do a lot more "disassembly" of the Pintler to use the meat hauling area. It is way simpler to access and use on the Cabinet.

Anyways, a big thumbs up for the Cabinet. Very happy with it and hope to enjoy it for many more years.

Back