Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New to Muzzleloading

Duck-Slayer

I'm new to Muzzleloading. Been asking friends and family about it a few years ago. My father in law gave me a CVA Hawken in .50 cal. So this year I will be taking it out on its madden voyage. It has never been fired by my Father in law who got it as a gift brand new. I have chosen my bullets, the now excuse 460 grain, I now need to decide on a powder charge. Any of you want to share your loads? I'm in idaho so it has to be loose powder. I have heard that blackpowder is more reliable than triple 7 it this true? I am thinking about starting at about 75 grains and work my way up and see what this Muzzleloader likes. I also ordered a new rear peep sight and front sight. Hopefully will be able to reach out to 200 yards. I have heard from several guy's here in Idaho that are very proficient with there muzzleloaders and are reaching out to 300 with great results.
Matt

You may want to do more research on your bullet choice. I believe those bigger bullets need a faster twist to stabilize out of a rifle. I have no idea what the twist on your CVA is but those bullets may need a 1:28 to work.

In traditional style muzzleloaders I prefer black powder. I find it to be superior to any substitute powder. I like Swiss brand powder FFg (aka 2F). Finding real black powder can be tough so consider buying multiple canisters (I have anywhere from 3-5 pounds on hand) when you do find it. I also would swap out the standard #11 cap for a musket cap. You should be able to find those at Sportsmans warehouse and even Amazon. You're smart to start with a low charge and I'd expect you find a sweet spot around 90 grains in yours.

I would completely rethink the 200-300 yard shots...with your rifle the sights will completely cover your target. Hold over at 200 could also mean you can't even see your target without some sort of optics. There are also other considerations and discussions of ethics, shooter ability, bullet velocity/energy (you're bullet velocity will likely be less than 1900fps) etc that come into play but those conversations rarely make it anywhere.

Last edited:
Hey Matt,
Ill take you out and show you the ropes if you want.
I like 110gr of 777 in one of my guns and 90gr in another both shooting 370gr maxi balls I have killed 10 or so animals over the years. My personal range is about 150yd in perfect conditions. That's with a rear peep and front globe with custom crosshairs. (Lee shaver)
As for 200-300yds man I just don't se it. My load of 110gr powder zeroes at 100yd drops 32" at 200yds.
I also get 1" of wind drift for every 2mph of wind at 100 yds.
So an example of a 200yd shot in 15mph wind I would need to aim 32" high and 15+" wind age. Not ethical imo. We both know 30mph wind gusts are very common.
Anyway it's a fun weapon similar to archery.

Last edited:
Kind of to Elkmagnets' point there is an enormous amount of drop.
Not sure that any rear peep will provide enough MOA since you will be looking at air and not hair.
As far as bullet selection I have heard many guys swear by these bullets.
I have 3 TC Hawkens all of which have 1-48" twist which was really
Everything I see tells me this is what your rifle has as well (CVA Hawken).
I won't argue with your bullet choice but I have shot Parker full size conicals which came with a felt wad under each bullet.
Shot a few Eastern Whitetails with my TC as far out as 90 yards and they were DRT.
Not sure what state regs are where you are hunting but I seriously love Blackhorn 209 loose powder.
If this powder is legal I would start at 70 grains and work up to maybe 80 grains max.
However this powder needs alot of fire so I would use a musket cap if you indeed are allowed to use this powder.

I believe that's a 1:48 twist barrel. I usually hunt with long barreled Flintlocks and roundballs but I've also have a 50cal TC Hawken that's almost identical to your CVA. It's very accurate with 385gr Great Plains bullets and 100gr 2F black powder out to 100-125yds. No way you'll be shooting game animals out to 300yds with a 460gr bullet. It'd make for some fun target practice though.

What I didn't finish saying above was that the 1-48 twist is a sacrifice and not the best rate for either heavy or light bullets.

I've had great luck with the 1:48 twist and big conicals. In a CVA Hawken, recoil will be very brutal with that brass butt plate. I'd highly suggest you rethink this madness. Even 90gr T7 is going to hurt like hell.

Want to shoot cheap? 250 - 320gr Lee R.E.A.L bullet mold, cast your own and they shoot wonderful out of the CVA Hawken barrel.

TC maxiballs are around $24 at the chain stores which is plain madness for a simple lead bullet.

385gr hornady great plains bullet is an affordable and accurate bullet as well.

lol.... I’m not going to shoot any further than what I do w my bow. I’m a bow junky so shooting past a 100 yards is very unlikely. I like to see my quary up close and personal. I’ll most likely be dead on at 50 and have my clicks for my peep dialed in for 100 yards.
Matt

Jim/Wa*

I believe that's a 1:48 twist barrel. I usually hunt with long barreled Flintlocks and roundballs but I've also have a 50cal TC Hawken that's almost identical to your CVA. It's very accurate with 385gr Great Plains bullets and 100gr 2F black powder out to 100-125yds.

This! Knocks the crap out of mulies and elk!

I have the 460 No-Excuse bullets in my Knight 50 disc extreme. I use 75 grains of BH and a 209 primer. I can shoot well to 200 with open sights but that is my max. I am just switching to a scope for UT, NM, and AZ (if I can ever draw a tag). The rifle and bullet combo is crazy accurate for me with real life MOA groups at 100 with a scope so far. I have to use a track of the wolf felt pad. Some need them and some don’t. They made a big difference for me.

Good luck and I will warn you it’s another addicting hobbie.

If you are mainly going to shoot only 50 yards and maybe 100 max, I wouldn't worry too much about your load. Almost anything should shoot good enough for that range.

One thing about black powder though is that it is measured by volume, not by weight. 100 grains volume is something like 130 grains weighed, depending on what brand you're using.

If you shoot BH 209 you need a special breech plug they sell or the factory one needs to be modified to ignite the powder properly.

Also may want to see if your gun likes that particular bullet before deciding. There are lots of choices out there and something that heavy may or may not not shoot as well as the usual 250 +/- grain bullets most shoot. That's definitely on the extreme end of heavy.

Muzzleloading can be a lot of fun with special antelope units in Wyoming with muzzleloader tags, early seasons in Kansas, and all of December in Nebraska you certainly have options just to name a few. Kansas also allows you to hunt rifle season with a muzzleloader tag if you don't fill during the muzzleloader season.

I have a TC Renegade (1 in 48" twist) that I used extensively for about 20 years. My standard load was a 370 grn TC maxiball with 90 grns Pyrodex. With a peep sight I felt good shooting a bit past 100, but 200 seems like a real stretch. My longest shots were ~140 on a deer and ~150 on an elk, most were under 100. When my eyesight started failing me, and NM started allowing scopes on muzzleloaders I experimented with putting a scope on the Renegade. Next deer I shot was at 30 yards. Took the scope off and shot a few more animals with the gun, then it has mostly been retired. I personally wish NM had kept muzzleloader hunts "primitive" like CO, and I guess ID(?).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back