Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sub $1000 O/U

Surveyor I think you have helped yourself.
If I would have bought any (one) of the many O/U Brownings that I have shouldered and shot (better than my own pumps).
However I did not and still do not own an O/U.
I still want one and knwo that I want a used Browning of their better years.
After reading your post and the ensuing thread I looked on (2) established online dealers.
The $1000 threshold does not typically get you into one of these without blemishes and flash rust.
maybe the used gun rack will yield me something now that you have picked off my healed longing for this gun.

Hope you find what you are looking for

You can find some attractive buys here: https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/?...ange=upcoming&is_mixed_lot=sometimes&limit=36

You don't specify if you are looking for a Sporting gun or not, if Sporting the $1K nut may be challenging, assuming an O/U.

For Sporting there are several semi autos that would fit the bill on that site regularly, the 1100's are some of the easiest and softest shooting shotguns to shoot well with.

Don't overlook that Charles Daly 12G SxS, 27 1/2" with tubes, oh my!

Last edited:
I've been looking at getting an O/U myself and went looking and touching this evening. Sportsman's did not have any Rugers but they did have a Winchester O/U which really felt fantastic and pointed oh so nice that was $1100.00. They also had a Franchi for $1400.00 that was also very nice and pointed and felt very good. Both had very nice wood and checkering. The Franchi had darker wood and more old school design on the stock and it was beautiful. Both felt great in my hands.

If I could have found an old used rack gun that wasn't choked a lot more than I like it I might have considered it more. I'm sure they are out there but as far as the standard choking for 28 inch barrels especially, well, to each his own I guess.

Don't be scared of the old guns that don't have screw in chokes. Send them over to Mike Orlen and he can either open up the chokes or install tubes. His work is fast, good, and affordable.

At this point I'm walking away from the sub grand gun. Came to the conclusion that i just need to pony up or I'll be back where I am now. $600 gun that is spent and needs more than it's worth. Looking at a Berreta Silver Pigeon or 828u Benelli. I need to find a local shop to shoulder them. I'd love to shoot one. If anyone has one that would let me trial it I'm a member out at Kiowa Creek. Always up for a shoot. Wouldn't mind shooting a Winchester 101 too.

I think you have made a wise decision

Ended up going with a Browning Citoiri cxs white 30". I liked the 725 sporting but couldn't get over the porting.
Put 350 rounds through it today! Now to figure out how to buy shells by the pallet so I don't go broke.

Ended up going with a Browning Citoiri cxs white 30". I liked the 725 sporting but couldn't get over the porting.
Put 350 rounds through it today! Now to figure out how to buy shells by the pallet so I don't go broke.

Not sure if you were serious about the pallet thing but still a few outfits that do it, just find a few guys to split the cost! Enjoy the new book stick.

CZ makes a few O/U that are sub $1000. What gauge are you wanting it in? I am in the market for a 28 gauge O/U for hunting ptarmigan and grouse back home in Alaska. I hope by this time next year to have one in my possession.

Your gonna love the 28ga! I finally decided to use mine a few years back and it and the 410 are about all I shoot anymore. Two nice 16's collecting dust!

I shoot SxS's but if I were looking for an O/U the first place I'd look is the CZ. Nice looking guns. Another might be Mossberg. Seem's they have an O/U out for a bit over $600! Few other's but I don't recall the brand names. Check on gunsinternational. Seem's to me if it's sold, they have it! Even saw a Marlin over under on there. If you can do double trigger's, they have Dickson shotguns on there around $1500 brand new! They look like nice guns.

Your gonna love the 28ga! I finally decided to use mine a few years back and it and the 410 are about all I shoot anymore. Two nice 16's collecting dust!

I shoot SxS's but if I were looking for an O/U the first place I'd look is the CZ. Nice looking guns. Another might be Mossberg. Seem's they have an O/U out for a bit over $600! Few other's but I don't recall the brand names. Check on gunsinternational. Seem's to me if it's sold, they have it! Even saw a Marlin over under on there. If you can do double trigger's, they have Dickson shotguns on there around $1500 brand new! They look like nice guns.

Thanks for the information. When I return home on R&R in January, I am going to start looking for one. I probably won't buy, but I will narrow down the selection for sure.

Not sure if you were serious about the pallet thing but still a few outfits that do it, just find a few guys to split the cost! Enjoy the new book stick.

I'm absolutely serious if the cost savings make it worth it! If you have any leads I'd appreciate it. So far all I can find for bulk online is by the flat, hahaha. Already buy multiple flats at a time from the big box stores.

The problem that I have heard about buying pallets of shotgun shells is that you need some kind of business location with a truck loading dock. If you don't have that, they either won't deliver, or there is a substantial upcharge. Not sure if that's entirely true, but just what I heard.

The berettas seem to fit the average guy under 5 11" the best and the brownings for the 6 1'' and up.

I bought a used Valmet O/U a few years ago, very nice gun. I picked it for around $600. I think a lot of people buy O/U’s with bisiobs of upland bird shooting and they usually find out they don’t shoot them well and go back to their trusty pump or auto. My advice is look around at the pawn shops this time of year, Christmas is right around the corner and people are trying to get funds together for their vacations and what not. Find one that feels right when you pull it up, many cheaper guns feel clunky to me when you pull them up. Good luck in finding the one.

Any chance you would consider a side-by-side? There are lots of older guns out there in just about every configuration you can imagine. Some are great buys, some are not. But it's always nice to shoot a gun that is built right rather than one that is built wrong so you have to hold it sideways to shoot it correctly :)

I'm using an old Greener from 1902 this year. It's proving to be a great gun.

they usually find out they don’t shoot them well and go back to their trusty pump or auto.

I can see that maybe in general if you are used to one gun then it's hard to switch and be a good shot with a new gun...

...but I can't see that o/u are inherently more difficult to shoot than a pump or auto. They have the same sight picture. Although without the action you are sighting over less.

It's hard to go to a skeet or sporting clay shoot (at least a serious one) and find that most of the shooters aren't shooting an o/u. And a good many of them are much better at hitting things than me, and probably you and most of us here.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back