Sub $1000 O/U

TheSurveyor

So I've shot up my current over and under. It's a Legacy Esscort, bought it used and have ran an unknown amount of rounds through it. I've got my money out of it and I'm sure it's not worth any amount of gun smithing.

I'm looking and purchasing a new low end Pointer or Tristar or nice used.

Just looking for suggestions or comments on where to look and what to look for. I bought the current over and under on a whim and have busted a lot of clays over the last 10yrs with it. That 90% of what it'll do. Sporting Clay's.

CZ makes a few O/U that are sub $1000. What gauge are you wanting it in? I am in the market for a 28 gauge O/U for hunting ptarmigan and grouse back home in Alaska. I hope by this time next year to have one in my possession.

I had a tristar years ago, it was total junk. Only fired 60% of the time the trigger was pulled, even after a visit to a gunsmith. I'm convinced that any O/U under $1000 is pretty hit or miss. If I was budget minded I would consider a CZ or Franchi.

Don’t buy either! I sell both and would not recommend either one. One of the best O/U at a similar price point is the CZ Drake. I have put around a Thousand rounds through mine with not one issue. That is shooting lead and steal...

My wife won a mossberg silver reserve 20 ga and has been a great grouse killer. I kinda dissmissed it and was trying to talk her into trading it on a beretta but she didnt want to pony up a k to upgrade. Now I steal that thing and beat the crap out of it chasing ruffies. It has been a solid gun. It is not a work of art by any stretch but it goes boom every time and hits what Im aiming at.

Bought a NIB Winchester Select a few years ago for $800 online. It’s a good looking gun and performs great. I’d keep an eye out for something like that or the newer 101. My buddy is pretty happy with his Ruger Red Label. You can find those for around $900 used.

Don’t buy either! I sell both and would not recommend either one. One of the best O/U at a similar price point is the CZ Drake. I have put around a Thousand rounds through mine with not one issue. That is shooting lead and steal...

Glad you like it, I have had my eye on a CZ Drake for 2 years now.

Used "B" gun...or Franchi Instinct L all day long. Aside from that, the fit is more important to what other people think. Reliability is really the only advice that matters with gun opinions.

I know way too many people that have had issues with their CZ's, seems like you get a good one or a dud, same as Mossberg. The quality control is just not there.

I have a Weatherby Orion that I got used for $800. New I think they're right around the $1,000 mark. I love that gun and have shot it really well. I'm interested in the CZ's for my kid's first OU's....410, 20 gauges.

I traded a handgun for a like NIB 1974 Charles Daly O/U...made in the same Miroku Japan Plant as Browning. I'd keep an eye out for one of these older guns as the point like a dream and are easy on the wallet

This. You get some great deals on used guns.

You get used Beretta o/u that's anywhere near recent (like inter choke tubes) for less than 1k then please let me know your secret. Unless things have changed in the last couple years. I'm not talking about some local market or needing to know someone desperate to pawn a gun here.

I have a franchi instinct which has worked for me. Before I had a Mossberg silver reserve which also worked for several thousand rounds but was heavy. I used to shoot skeet with someone about 5 yrs ago that had a Stevens model and liked it.

For hunting and light to medium range work it can be done. I personally would rather not travel and tromp all over the place with a 2.5-3k gun. But if I didn't have to pay for it I wouldn't mind one.

That's part of the problem with people today. They think newer guns are better than the older ones. A buddy picked up a Baretta Silver Snipe made in '69 w/ a JS air cushion stock for under $700. It's an extractor gun w/fixed chokes and it's one of the finer grouse guns out there. Light, well made and choked appropriately (IC/M).

Screw in chokes are great, and so are ejectors, but the fit & finish of this 50 year old gun is better than any new Franchi out there. And I like the Franchi's.

That's part of the problem with people today. They think newer guns are better than the older ones. A buddy picked up a Baretta Silver Snipe made in '69 w/ a JS air cushion stock for under $700. It's an extractor gun w/fixed chokes and it's one of the finer grouse guns out there. Light, well made and choked appropriately (IC/M).

Screw in chokes are great, and so are ejectors, but the fit & finish of this 50 year old gun is better than any new Franchi out there. And I like the Franchi's.

I think inter chokes are better and far from there being something wrong with it I'm pretty close to be right. Granted, fixed chokes might pattern slightly better.

Point is, unless you go ancient your not getting under $1k

For hunting and light to medium range work it can be done. I personally would rather not travel and tromp all over the place with a 2.5-3k gun. But if I didn't have to pay for it I wouldn't mind one.

I dropped a $2500 shotgun opening morning. It got a nice chunk taken out of the stock. Haven't switched it out yet. Even expensive guns should be used in the field. :)

IMG_20180902_214733.jpg

I think inter chokes are better and far from there being something wrong with it I'm pretty close to be right. Granted, fixed chokes might pattern slightly better.

Point is, unless you go ancient your not getting under $1k

"Ancient" guns are hand made, with better fit & function. CNC is great, but it's no substitute for a crafstman's learned hands. I'd take a 50 year old Beretta over a new Franchi any day of the week. Like browning - I'd take a 1950's Superposed over a modern Citori. They're just better quality firearms in this price range.

I enjoy hunting the used racks. I've picked up a few Beretta O/U for under $1k. At this moment I know where a peach of Charles Daly SxS is for $500. It's the same as the Browning BSS. It's old and fine. It may come home with me one of these days.

If I could have found an old used rack gun that wasn't choked a lot more than I like it I might have considered it more. I'm sure they are out there but as far as the standard choking for 28 inch barrels especially, well, to each his own I guess.

At this point I'm walking away from the sub grand gun. Came to the conclusion that i just need to pony up or I'll be back where I am now. $600 gun that is spent and needs more than it's worth. Looking at a Berreta Silver Pigeon or 828u Benelli. I need to find a local shop to shoulder them. I'd love to shoot one. If anyone has one that would let me trial it I'm a member out at Kiowa Creek. Always up for a shoot. Wouldn't mind shooting a Winchester 101 too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back