Yeti GOBOX Collection

Meat processing station

Hunting Wife

We recently moved and the new house is somewhat lacking in counter space for processing. I would prefer not to do such tasks on my nice dining room table (yes, I know. My husband rolled his eyes too.) I’m contemplating building a rolling kitchen island type thing with a nice big surface for cutting and wrapping, and maybe some lower shelves that could store grinders, wrapping materials, all the processing equipment. It would need to stand up to fairly heavy use (we do all our own processing), but be able to tuck away during the off season. Unfortunately we don’t have space to make a dedicated processing room or something like that...though it would be nice! I’m curious if anyone uses something similar, or has some other system that works well for you? Looking for photos and ideas of what some of your meat processing setups look like.

I set up a couple fold out tables in our garage. I only process meat a few times in the fall and winter so it's not like I'm having to set things up every week. You could likely set up a rolling kitchen island in your garage so it's all ready to go? If my garage is super cold I have also set up the same tables in a corner of my unfinished basement.

I went to wall mart and got a folding table with a plastic top. Then I stick it behind a shelf that holds the grinder, pans, knives etc. Ours is about 10' when its unfolded and the shelves are just rubbermaid stackable things. The plastic top cleans up easy but plastic cutting boards slide around on it. If my back is messed up I sometimes put it up on blocks to raise it.

We tried it inside on the kitchen table but there were always trim pieces on the floor. The table stayed clean with a cover but the floor made cleanup a pain.

I like you idea but it may be a bit bulky to store depending on available space. We got a rollaway island from lowes that was on clearance but it would only have room for one person to work.

If you put something together, make sure you post some pics, I'd like to see it so I can steal the idea. Ha

Get a 6foot folding table, put 12 inch pieces of 2 inch PVC pipe on each leg. Plenty of work space for two people. And much more comfortable to work from.

Get 3 or 4 meat tubs and a grinder and you are good to go. Store all the stuff in the tubs on a shelf. I dont have a dedicated space, just use the garage as needed and store the table when not in use.

Get a 6foot folding table, put 12 inch pieces of 2 inch PVC pipe on each leg. Plenty of work space for two people. And much more comfortable to work from.

Get 3 or 4 meat tubs and a grinder and you are good to go. Store all the stuff in the tubs on a shelf. I dont have a dedicated space, just use the garage as needed and store the table when not in use.

Not exactly a custom work station. A small kitchen counter, some wrapping paper, an overhead light, some knives, some dogs, a large cooler containing a couple frozen gallon water jugs, and a master meat cutter (my wife) is how it's done in our butcher shop. Grind and wrap here also. Grilled pronghorn tenderloins tonight.
DSCN0319.jpg

Not exactly a custom work station. A small kitchen counter, some wrapping paper, an overhead light, some knives, some dogs, a large cooler containing a couple frozen gallon water jugs, and a master meat cutter (my wife) is how it's done in our butcher shop. Grind and wrap here also. Grilled pronghorn tenderloins tonight.
View attachment 88412
I see you got two of them fancy automatic vacuum cleaners ready clean up any thing that falls on the floor.

I set up a couple fold out tables in our garage. I only process meat a few times in the fall and winter so it's not like I'm having to set things up every week. You could likely set up a rolling kitchen island in your garage so it's all ready to go? If my garage is super cold I have also set up the same tables in a corner of my unfinished basement.

This right here works great

When we built I had the garage plumbed for a sink. The contractor said I was crazy. I found a used stainless prep station that has a sink and shelving. Its about 3'x8'. I added some steel backsplash to the wall and my gambrel with electric winch is just behind it. I added some magnetic shelves and papertowle holder and a knife strip. Doesn't take up the whole garage, but is sure nice to process meat.

Here is mine.

It's just a 4x8 melamine sheet on a 2x4 frame, attached to a dividing wall in the garage. I cut about 14 inches off one edge of the melamine and made it into a backsplash.There are heavy hinges that attach it to the wall and let the weight sit on a 2x4 rail. The 3 legs fold up for storage. The wrapping plastic and paper hang at the far end, so it's easy to keep the dirtier parts of the process away from the finishing area.

It folds down when not in use, so we can park the car there. Plus, it hides all our painting supplies.

IMG_0013.jpgIMG_8245.jpg

When we built I had the garage plumbed for a sink. The contractor said I was crazy.

Not crazy at all, and a good idea. We do sinks in garages all the time. Seems crazy, but we also build homes with hot water hose bibs to the outside. Handy. mtmuley

Seems crazy, but we also build homes with hot water hose bibs to the outside. Handy. mtmuley

Our last house had this, and it was really handy. Also really easy to tap the hot water heater.

I'd love to have a sink in the garage. I just use the kitchen counter. We did 30" deep counters to facilitate things like butchering.

Not crazy at all, and a good idea. We do sinks in garages all the time. Seems crazy, but we also build homes with hot water hose bibs to the outside. Handy. mtmuley

I’m building now. Not only do I have my garage plumbed for a sink and hose but i have acces to a bathroom.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Had a huge bar in our old house that was perfect for processing, but this kitchen needs some updating- really small narrow countertops. 30” counters might be on the list when we redo the kitchen in a couple of years!

We have a corner in the basement that could be dedicated to space for working and then storage in the off-season. A raised folding table could work. Paul, I like that folding approach. Having the plastic and paper mounted somehow is on my wish list. Thanks for the photos and ideas!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back