Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Late season gloves

Kybowhunter64

Ive been looking online at bunch of different brands of gloves. Question for you bow hunters out there. Whats the best gloves yall have found for late season bow hunting? I only hunt from a treestand an havent ever had any luck keeping my hands or my feet warm. I always wear my LaCrosse alphaburly boots. You fellas that also wear rubber boots which boots/socks do yall wear to keep your feet warm while stand hunting or blind hunting? I really appreciate it fellas!!

i quit wearing rubber boots a long time ago.. seemed pretty pointless to go out and have my feet turn into ice blocks when i have my favorite pair of leather boots at home. That being said there are boot covers you can use that work pretty well i think they are called arctic shield

I use hand warmers and a good hand muff. As for my feet, i wear one good pair of socks with my leather boots. I leave my lacrosses at home past October.

I would assume some sort of chopper mit like Big Fin wears would work good

Edit: not to wear while shooting obviously, but to quickly remove before you shoot. But I guess that would depend on the type of release you are using

Last edited:
+2 on the muff and hand warmers. I wear a light pair of gloves and just keep my hands in the muff most of the time. Granted I don't do this for late archery, but it works great for me when waterfowling in cold temps.

boots
KEEP YOUR SOCKS DRY! one thing iv noticed for stand hunting is hunters sometimes want to buy a boot with as high of insulation rating as possible. (because they are planning on just sitting ) yea it will be a warm boat but your feet will sweat walking to your stand after about 3 steps and you end up with frozen toes after sitting. even after changing socks there will be lots of moisture in your boot still. whatever you do focus on keeping your socks dry and you will be amazed how warm your toes will stay.
i have a pair of muck boots arctic . idk insulation rating but they are too hot for me. i have found that a good leather boot and Nice socks works best for my toes. they start off a little colder but with dry socks iv found that they don't ever really get to that frozen hurting stage that they get to with wet socks.

gloves
just for late season i like a pair of mittens that have the cut outs were you have flip back the mitten part and your 4 fingers come out.works good on them frozen days

gloves

I wear a pair of First Lite grizzlies. They’re super warm and I bought a size up so I can wear my release and still have the mitten on. I can’t stand having anything between my finger and the trigger so I take whatever I have on off when I go to shoot. The mittens have a nice wrist strap so they hang down and out of the way but aren’t going to fall out of the tree when you take them off. I just wore them for a weekend of northern Michigan duck and grouse hunting and was super impressed with them for that kind of work as well.

I would assume some sort of chopper mit like Big Fin wears would work good

Edit: not to wear while shooting obviously, but to quickly remove before you shoot. But I guess that would depend on the type of release you are using

I love wearing the mittens for cold hunts. I was watching a video on you tube and saw the chopper mittens that Randy wore. Unfortunately, I could not tell what brand they were. Does anyone know (Big Fin) what the brand is. Seems like most the stores I go to here don't really carry anything that looks good.
thanks,

the kuiu superdown mittens are incredibly warm, though im sure the other major brands have an equivalently warm insulation glove. i also have a muff that i keep hand warmers in. I just tried thermocell heated insoles this past weekend but forgot the remote at the house, so those aren't very effective if you forget that.

Bowslayer, I didn't realize that chopper mitts still existed until I saw Randy's videos. That was a total throwback to my childhood a million years ago in Minnesota. But he showed me you can find them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=chopper+mittens

That said, I have a fairly huge pair of snowmobiling mitts that I often use over thin gloves. I can flick them off or just shuck them almost instantly and have my gloved hand free to operate a flintlock or pull a trigger as the case may be in late season.

Thanks!! I have an old pair that work awesome for cold hunts, sledding with my daughter, etc. I also "flick" them off when I need them off quick!
I found the gloves he had in the video..they are Frost River brand. Look good.
thanks

Last edited:
Here is another solid mitt option. The Stormy Kromer products have an excellent reputation for quality and are made by people that live in an area that is cold and are serious about hunting.

https://www.stormykromer.com/waxed-tough-mitts/

If you prefer wool backed with leather palms go with these. They work well for me. They are easier on and off than regular chopper mitts with the wool liners.

https://www.stormykromer.com/tough-mitts/

Last edited:
I wear the Canadian Stand Hunter Mittens from Cabelas or Bass Pro. They come with a thick liner glove and are the warmest ones Ive ever found. The only downside is they are huge.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back