Caribou Gear

“My” Spots

This is why you never turn down a scouting trip with a buddy and always chip in for gas.

Ha, and never turn down an ask to help pack out an animal. Sure way to learn a secret spot! I'm always available lol.

I'm actually a little more guarded about divulging the names of landowners who have granted me permission to hunt. You can really screw yourself out of a good situation quickly by doing that. Public land spots...not sure I have any real honey holes, every elk I've shot has been in a different direction from town. Like somebody said earlier, it's all about exploring new ground for me, even if it's less effective.

Obviously I'm not aware of every single spot Rogan has hunted but just going off MeatEater and his instagram they have all been either private (Duran Farm, Steve's Friend in CA, private Ranch with Cam Hanes) or pieces of public that are so vast and inaccessible that even if you gave everyone the exact GPS coordinates it wouldn't matter (Prince of Wales island, Missouri Breaks... also was skunked on POW and got a tiny buck on the latter.

They may be vast, but the Breaks certainly aren’t inaccessible, and get plenty of hunters every fall. I promise if Rogan gave out Rinella’s GPS coordinates, it would be flooded with people next year. That’s just how the couch crowd does things. Not that Rinellas spot is anything special, but just because he hunts it people would go there.

belly, I am leaving for the Breaks tomorrow. Could you please pm the best spots to go. Thanks. mtmuley

I have a few honey hole lakes for fishing and duck hunting that I would never tell a soul about outside of a few family members. Those kinds of spots get more rare all the time. If you start running your mouth the spots would surely be ruined. There is a lot of time and effort spent in finding honey holes. That or family tradition as a spot is passed down to others. I don't think Rogan is familiar with that

belly, I am leaving for the Breaks tomorrow. Could you please pm the best spots to go. Thanks. mtmuley

Will do. The only problem is Federal law prohibits ultra mags so you’re going to have to use a 6.5

I have a question about a spots. I went out to Colorado last year with a couple guys, none of us had hunted the area before. They did scout the unit earlier in the year but due to one person’s ability to get turned around (lost) we walked until we found a decent place to camp for the evening. As it turns out the area we camped was a decent area to hunt. Since none of us laid eyes on that area till that evening, who’s spot is it? They are going back this year and I am not. By not returning to this area year did I forfeit my claim to say it’s my spot?

A couple of other paraphrased snippets from the podcast:

"Grizzlies are not indigenous to Texas.."

On the topic of a wildlife biologist identifying a black bear from trail cam photos - "How does he know it's not a grizzly?"

I generally like listening to his podcasts, but he is still clearly ignorant when it comes to most hunting/natural resources/wildlife conservation topics.

While its true Public land belongs to us all , the knowledge of where and how to hunt it does not.
You pay for that or learn it on your own.

They may be vast, but the Breaks certainly aren’t inaccessible, and get plenty of hunters every fall. I promise if Rogan gave out Rinella’s GPS coordinates, it would be flooded with people next year. That’s just how the couch crowd does things. Not that Rinellas spot is anything special, but just because he hunts it people would go there.

"The Breaks" definitely. But it's about perception more than reality. In Rogan's mind no one is going to fly into Montana, rent a truck and a canoe, float in for a day or two and then hunt. From his point of view this was a once in a lifetime hunt, so who cares if he tells people where he went. If you don't feel like you will return to a place you feel significantly less ownership for it.

My favorite are the guys that show up 5-7 days before the season starts, stay for 4-6 weeks, and then act like they own the area because they were there first. I'm not one to step on toes, but I'm not going to concede the best hunting in a 100 square mile area because someone thinks its ok to "hog" it.

I'm pretty particular who I hunt with, and don't give away spots or take people to spots I don't want to lose. I do give away plenty of good spots that I've hunted in the past that I don't have intention of returning, or have the time to go. Many of those spots turned into the recipients "spot" and they have hunted there for years since.

I helped several others in Colorado and Montana in locations where I have taken game. It was basically difficult to draw units or any areas I don’t hunt full time. Any area can be productive one year and not hold game the next. I have regular areas I try to hunt, but they are not real productive until you find elk. I haven’t heard of Rogan or Rienella, but can only imagine they are wanna be’s.
I have also had some solid individuals provide me with areas to hunt in Colorado and Montana on difficult to draw tags. But I would NEVER share that info with others, it cost me little, and it really a was a generous gift on their part and I wouldn’t feel right about giving away their spots.

This is why I don't have friends. Or maybe Im just not likeable. Im so crazy I take my portable stand up and down each time I hunt for deer in Missouri ... even on my home place so my own brother don't know where I sit. lol.

And reading through this... Rzrbck918 was funny as hell. still cracks me up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back