Arizona unit 36c

Tonyw

I am new to hunting and loving every minute of it. My dad and I got drawn for Coues in unit 36c southern Arizona. Wondering if anyone has ever hunted down there. Just an excited new hunter looking for some possible tips. Not asking for honey holes. Thanks in advance.

Get a good map and learn access points. 36c is mostly open, but some. of it has limited access. Like glass eye said, get high and glass. Your ass and eyes should get worn out well before your feet do. If you're in Phoenix, I recommend hitting up Ross outdoors. They will rent you good glass if you don't have any. I prefer swaro 15x56s over a spotter, but good glass, on a good tripod is a godsend for hunting deer or javelina in Az. Find an area with water and food and you'll find Coues. If you get rains, the ocotillos will have leaves. Coues love ocotillo leaves.

Consider finding a path to be near the Reservation border to glass. You did not mention which tag you both have. You will need water and can be warm even on the late December tag. Can be deadly hot on the earlier hunts. Be prepared for traffic stops by Immigration and to encounter other activity including tourists crossing the desert from points south. Usually not too dangerous but it you leave water in your camp or truck then it may be gone when return. Stay safe because is possible to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and become collateral damage. Good luck on your hunt.

I've hunted it before. Border Patrol does a good job of making their presence known, but they have never bothered me. The further south you go, the more BP activity you will encounter. The smugglers like to travel the rez boundary. I've never seen more than some trash and shoe prints from the smugglers. Deer numbers aren't what they used to be but they are still pretty good. Plenty of places to hunt but access can be a little tricky in some places. The walk-in areas are nice, but you can find coues just about anywhere in the unit. Find a vantage point and you can probably find deer in every direction if your decent at glassing. A good hunting map will help a ton. I bought a 36C map from Game Planner Maps. They are dang nice maps , and they come with a digital copy for your phone. They're also made in AZ. The guy who makes them is a coues hunter, I would check them out.

https://gameplannermaps.com/product/arizona-unit-36c/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back