Hunting/Fishing near Palm Springs, CA

Red84

First off, I did not know exactly where to post this, but I figured this forum would be a good start. If it needs to be directed somewhere more fitting please let me know. I am going to Palm Springs the first week of December for work. Not my pick of where I would want to go for a few days, but alas it is happening. I look at the area and think to myself, the odds are stacked against me trying to find a place to hunt or fish in Southern California. In the desert no less. I know this is probably a misconception, but I can't help but feel like I plumb out of luck. Does anyone have any ideas? If you live in the area, I'd love to just tag along for the experience one day. Not looking for any general spots either, just some ideas of what might be good to go after when I am there. I just know that I won't want to be in the city the entire time I am there! I see places to hike, which I like to do. I just don't want to miss out on something extraordinary. Thanks!

We often spend a week in Palm Desert in the Winter, I cant help with places to hunt/fish. I would recommend going to Whitewate Preserve for a hike though. My son and I have gone there several times to hike and look for the Bighorn Sheep. Every time we have gone, we have seen some sheep with the most being around 20. It is not far from Palm Springs.
http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/preserve_whitewater.html

In terms of Public land hunting there is Cleveland National Forest and San Bernadino National Forest.

Deer Zones - California

This time of year Arizona over the counter archery tags for deer might be your best bet. There is also some good dove hunting around Yuma.

As mentioned before, waterfowl on the Salton Sea.

If you are into archery check out Cherry Valley Bowhunters to meet some locals.

Fishing wise, I know a Canadian Fishing guide who goes to Lake Havasu every winter....

Last edited:
Thanks the ideas everyone. I spoke to a CA biologist and I think I might chase quail. New territory for me.

If you hunt waterfowl, the Pacific Flyway has a lot more variety than SW Michigan. Excellent opportunity to collect some cinnamon teal. I would help you out but I will be in Alaska the first week of December.

Attachments

• 20170128_162448.jpg
    20170128_162448.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 99
Whoa! Nice curveball glass eye...I'd call myself a generalist, but waterfowl does rank up there on my list. Every bird in that picture would be glad to come home with me! I usually see the three on the left, but they are always brown :) Thanks for having me reconsider my options! Lol. Alaska sounds like fun!

Or you could get blacked out daily at the JW Marriot with several hundred other college co-eds. I'd go the waterfowl route, however, if that falls through, JW is a great second choice.

Wister offers a lot of opportunities. Go for the sweatline and get there before 8 to enter then car camp in the lot. Try to get a blind on the south east side. If you can’t then wait for refill. Ducks fly all day coming off the salt on sea. Better midday when the winds pick up. Most guys will bail around 10. Once in a blind, put out no more than 6 decoys in pairs. Be patient and don’t call. They’ll come in on a string. Happy hunting.

Depends on the type of hunt you are looking for. Deer season out here has come and gone, but you can still chase around birds. There is a lot of open space out in the desert with decent quail hunting. Quail numbers are really good this year because of solid rain season this last spring. If you want to go a different route, my cousin owns Big Horn Canyon Ranch and offers pig hunting on his property. I imagine most folks on here are like me and do the public land thing, but if you want to go arrow a hog on private land then thats a good option. The ranch is only about an hour to hour and a half from palm springs. Hope this helps, and enjoy your stay

I have had great duck hunting in SoCal and have had outstanding pheasant hunting near the border in El-Central. It was a interesting to be within 100 yard of the actual border and limit out on pheasants.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back