age of S&W model 27-2 .357 mag

uncle sage

Because i filled out fairly early on my recent Muley hunt in a Far Northern Calif X-zone, i had extra budgeted hunt funds burning a hole in my pocket when my old hunting pard pulled out a safe queen 6" very dark blue, 27-2 in .357 mag and in easy 95+% condition, the firearms original pamphlet, the blue cardboard box labeled correctly and has stamp dated on the inside bottom, "1955". The serial number is N1553XX. Can someone here please identify or verify when this gun was made?

I see some 27-2 revolvers produced from the 60's thru the 70's and i believe the 80"s too but 1955 seems too early to me. I hope my suspicion is incorrect. Super Sweet pistol for sure and though i had no ability to turn the offer to buy down, it didn't come cheap. A good year, a buck, and a long wanted special revolver purchase for the same money as if the hunt were to go its full 2 weeks, three weekends.

Thanks!

Last edited:
your best option is to call Smith & Wesson customer service, they can give you all that information. I've dealt with them in the past and have had no problems.

your best option is to call Smith & Wesson customer service, they can give you all that information. I've dealt with them in the past and have had no problems.

GlockZ, Thanks for the tip. I just did so and for those interested, the gal there told me that it was made from 72-1974 with 1973 being the most likely year it was produced. Thanks much!

So i guess the stamp dated blue box is not correct and that concerns me that my old pard didn't dig that info out before tempting me in the purchase. Still, for a handgun minted the year after i graduated High School, it's a Beauty yet not quite near enough to a mint piece, that i won't be afraid to shoot, maybe even hunt it with care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back