Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

30 Nosler

Time will tell if the industry supports Nosler cartridges. A friend of mine manufactures bullets and does custom loading. A lot of .300 RUM's coming through his company. mtmuley

The RUM has been out since 1999. Probly not cool anymore. A big .30 gulps powder and has recoil, no matter which one. You can argue efficiency among them all day long. Splitting hairs. With Nosler issues concerning brass, I would be cautious investing in one. If you do, buy components when available. Especially brass. The RUM went through a shortage and other brass makers from Remington stepped up. My bet is the Nosler won't fare as well. mtmuley

Very good points.

Is a RUM worth it if I am only looking to shoot 140-200g bullets under 500y? I already have the .450 that throws heavy lead and I feel I have a gap in coverage. I could see a 180g Accubond or partition filling in nicely.

Very good points.

Is a RUM worth it if I am only looking to shoot 140-200g bullets under 500y? I already have the .450 that throws heavy lead and I feel I have a gap in coverage. I could see a 180g Accubond or partition filling in nicely.

No. But neither is the Nosler. The Winchester is a better choice than either of them. But, the .30-06 will do what you described also. mtmuley

I am not a mainstream cartridge guy, even though now, a Creedmoor is as modern mainstream as it gets. In my defense though, I bought it before it was called a man bun and it works well. I’ve never cared for a 30-06 as even though they are tried and true performers. I instead bought a 25-06 just to be different from my friends. Now, I find myself looking at 280AI and the Nosler calibers to fill the gap. Cost wise they are all in roughly the same boat. So that led me to the Nosler as they have better speed.

All in all the 30-06 is is the best bang for the buck, just wish it wasn’t boring to me.

Lets stop all the madness. Being a 300Wm fan I think its a great cartridge, Maybe one the best all around. BUT it is not equal with the .30 Nosler in any category.

At 300 yards

300 WM 2526 Ft energy @2447PFS with 190 Gr Accubond
.30 Nosler 3193 FT Energy @ 2617 FPS with 210GR Accubond
300 RUM 3015 FP Energy at 2741 FPS with 210 Gr Accubond

thats 25% more energy and 10% faster with a .30 Nosler 210 Gr vs. 300 WM190GR.

The RUM and .30 Nosler are more similar. The RUM is a tad faster with the Energy going to the .30

Not sure how you are getting these numbers. With the same bullet, the RUM is going to win in all categories. The .30 Nosler is just a short RUM. It is not possible to have more energy with less velocity out of a smaller case!

I think a lot of the Nosler numbers are hype. It just seems to me that if a person is going to fgo to a fast 30, might as well step up to the RUM, especially with the Nosler brass and ammo issues.

The only advantage that the Nosler has is being the same length as the Win Mag, but case diameter as big as the rim of the Win mag, so it still fits in a standard length action, at more cost, and less power than the RUM.

The RUM with the velocity you posted comes to 3504 foot pounds of energy.

The Nosler is 3194, and the WM is 2526, as you already posted. The RUM wins handily and the Nosler splits the difference.

mevertsen;2756254 The only advantage that the Nosler has is being the same length as the Win Mag said:
I haven’t handled either of these. Why is a standard length action more advantageous than a RUM length set up?

No advantage. Percieved maybe, but in the hand, none. mtmuley

I should have clarified that. The action is 1/2" ? Longer than standard. And they both require 26" barrels to maximize it all. I agree with the perceived comment. But with higher costs than the RUM because of the name hype.

Double tap

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. You do know Remington's don't shoot, right?Glass? mtmuley

If it’s as bad as my Kimber I won’t complain a bit. I pirated a Zeiss 3.5-10 off another gun for now. I’ll buy a new scope next year.

B7C59E3F-CE78-4006-937B-F263DBA19513.jpg

I should have clarified that. The action is 1/2" ? Longer than standard. And they both require 26" barrels to maximize it all. I agree with the perceived comment. But with higher costs than the RUM because of the name hype.

All Rem 700 long actions are the same length regardless of caliber.

The 28Nosler is a great cartridge and really shines with heavier bullets. My 28 runs 195 Berger’s at 3040 with 1/2MOA accuracy.
Within 500 yards a 7-08 or 7mm rem Mag with a 160gr would be fine. The reason I’ve got a 28 is for longer range and it serves that purpose very well!
If you want a hot rod 7mm the 28 is awesome and will perform great to 500 yards and well beyond.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back