Hurricane Michael

wytex

My thoughts and prayers are with all of our hunting brothers and sisters in Florida and SE U,S. this morning. What devastation.
My nephew in Tallahassee is safe but no power, may be days til they get it back but on the grand scale they came out ok.
I can't even imagine what it would feel like to go through that.
Praying loss of life is minimal.

We got it pretty easy here, but what no one is talking about is how the water tables down here can't hold anymore water which is causing flooding. I know a little bit South of us got hit pretty hard, but that's nothing compared to what PCB and Mexico Beach got. I have a couple of friends down there and they say it is bad. Prayers for all of them

Not a situation I'd wish on anyone after riding out the worst Hazel in '54 and Hugo in '89 could dish out. Two years ago a nephew and a cousin lost or had badly damaged homes when Matthew flooded the rivers of SE North Carolina and more recently they both had flood and storm damage from Florence as well.
We got 50 mph winds and rain with Michael, a few trees down in areas, but nothing so severe as our neighbors to the South have experienced but somehow we always seem to spring back over time.

An old Appalachian saying, "Rough weather makes good timber".

Devastation....that's the only word I have to describe what happened here. I barely recognize the area I have lived all my 43 years. We road it out at my in-laws and had to hold the doors closed for 3 hours. We had sustained 140mph winds for over an hour. We ended up being in the eastern eye wall. No one will have to tell me to leave when a hurricane is approaching again. My family fared well. We had a broken window and lost a few shingles but, we have about 30 trees down on the front half of our property. I can't get any further back to check on the rest. My mom was trapped in her house and we couldn't get to her until Thursday morning. My brother in law's house is a total loss but, the insurance company still required us to tarp the roof. My sister in law had extensive roof damage. I think it is salvageable. For the past 5 days I have cut trees and tarped roofs. We still don't have power or water. We are living in our brand new 2-week old camper and running on a generator. Our neighbor is on city water so we strung together a half dozen garden hoses to get water. We are much better off than most people in the area. I am one of those "crazy prepper guys" so we were pretty well set once the storm was over. I guess that's why I felt obligated to help out family and friends. I have to return to work tomorrow and I feel so overwhelmed. There is so much still to do. But, it's not going anywhere and I'll do a little bit every weekend. They are saying some folks could be without power for 30 days. We got internet back today and I have it running off one of my boat batteries and a 300w inverter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back