Weather Information

IABoilermaker

Looking for some recommendations from folks on finding good information for current weather conditions. I am always looking at weather.com or accuweather for nearby towns to where my hunt areas are but figure their might be some better ways to get actual weather a little closer to hunting locations. Being from the Midwest I have never really had to consider the elevation changes etc. that make it that much harder to get good data out west.

The reason I am asking is I drew a tag in unit 98 in WY this year and my hunting partner and I went out and hit it opening week when most of the elk seemed to be up in the wilderness area we couldn't touch as non-residents. I still have a tag and was thinking i might try a quick run back out for a 4 day hunt to try to capitalize on a tag that took me 5 years to get, but i would really like to get some accurate weather data to see if it is likely that the elk are starting to get pushed out of the wilderness by weather.

If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears, or if anyone is familiar with the weather situation out by Pinedale in the Bridger-Tetons and willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

WYDOT for the roads , they have weather info in the site also. I checked local webcams daily when I had my cow bison tag. I could see real time what was going on in Jackson and the area for animal movement.
WYDOT has webcams along the interstate and highways for roads conditions also in real time.
Look up some local webcams, Pinedale area.
Also reach out to those of us in Wyoming, someone local will be willing to relay weather and road conditions, I am willing for the Laramie area.

Looking for some recommendations from folks on finding good information for current weather conditions. I am always looking at weather.com or accuweather for nearby towns to where my hunt areas are but figure their might be some better ways to get actual weather a little closer to hunting locations. Being from the Midwest I have never really had to consider the elevation changes etc. that make it that much harder to get good data out west.

The reason I am asking is I drew a tag in unit 98 in WY this year and my hunting partner and I went out and hit it opening week when most of the elk seemed to be up in the wilderness area we couldn't touch as non-residents. I still have a tag and was thinking i might try a quick run back out for a 4 day hunt to try to capitalize on a tag that took me 5 years to get, but i would really like to get some accurate weather data to see if it is likely that the elk are starting to get pushed out of the wilderness by weather.

If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears, or if anyone is familiar with the weather situation out by Pinedale in the Bridger-Tetons and willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

The winds are capped with snow. We had a snow storm yesterday that only added to to the snow that was already on the peaks.

I can see the winds at a distance every day going to work and it has been snow capped for at least a week.

I would only worry about it melting and creating sloppy roads down lower at this point.

It is supposed to get a little warmer next week, but at the higher elevations it will still have snow.

My neighbor is the regonal NoAA meterologist. I just text him.

He alo gave me a book Weather for Outdoorsman. It has been very helpful in being able to forecast on my own.

Second what Wytex said. Looks like there are a couple of WYDOT webcams on US-191 near Pinedale that might help. I also use the Weather Underground website (www.wunderground.com) to help with forecast and find other weather webcams that may come in handy.

Check out an app called "Windy." Has some neat features, and is what most of the pilots up here are now using. I haven't used it too much, but so far its pretty accurate.

NOAA/Aviation Weather Forecasts are also good places to check. I tend to use Wunderground. I think all basic forecasts come from NOAA and are then massaged by local meteorologists or various third parties.

As far as extended weather forecasts 4+ days, I'm not sure any are very accurate, especially in the mountains. I know its a total crap shoot in Alaska. Our weather here has so many variables and influences they're lucky to get it close 50% of the time on a 2-3 day forecast. Best they ever get is "sunny" and "heavy rain", anything in between

https://www.noaa.gov/
Put in the nearest zip to where u want to check.
Check extended forecast.
From there scroll down there is a map. You can drag/move map around and pin point location.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-109.8101654685201&lat=43.070286876791414#.W79TI6RMGEc

That is 12 miles northeast of cora Wy for an example.

This is what I do. I have found the clickable map forecasts to be pretty accurate, especially when nearby towns are really not at the same elevation or conditions for where you are going to hunt.

I was going to suggest the same ones Bambistew listed. Weather Underground and Windy. WUnderground has a lot of personal weather stations spread all over, so you can sometimes get data from much closer to your hunt area than the area's official station.

Here's a link to the wundermap for the Pinedale area. https://www.wunderground.com/wunder...999893&lon=-109.86000061&wxstn=1&wxstnmode=tw Each of the colored circles with a number (temperature) in it is a station.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back