Caribou Gear

Browning xbolt speed modification

Barnesnbow

I am looking for some good advice from some really knowledgeable gun guys. I have an browning xbolt speed and want to put a suppressor on it. The barrel on this gun is pretty long. Just kind of wondering how much performance I will lose by having the barrel shortened. With the longer barrel am I going to run into trouble with the twist ratio. Just for the sake of conversation let’s say I wanna cut it to 18”-20”.

I have seen many articles that report anywhere from 25fps to 150 per inch removed. What that translates is more drop at distance and perhaps less ability to "buck the wind". I will be putting a can on my speed next year, but I don't intend on cutting the barrel. I may have to cut 1/2" if the threads for that crown cover are different than the can.

A lot also depends on the cartridge but general rule of thumb is about 20fps per inch you cut off. I have seen some posts saying suppressor actually increase velocity though. The twist rate is not affected by barrel length.

300 win mag. As far as twist rate will shortening the barrel make the gun have less bullet options? The twist is what stabilizes the bullet.

Shortening it will not affect the twist rate. It will be the same regardless if it’s a 26” barrel or a 16”. Also I assume it’s a 1:10 which can handle up to 220-230gr 30cal bullets.

I've observed 50 FPS loss in a Tikka 6.5 CM going from 24" to 20" and 25 FPS loss in a Ruger 7mm-08 going from 24" to 16" (youth rifle). In a Tikka 7mm-08, I lost 28 FPS by cutting the barrel from 22" to 18.5". I didn't measure the velocities until after the barrels were cut, so I'm basing the difference off of Hornady ammo specs. I don't know what the loss might be in a .300 WM.

Just an aside, but before you cut, I'd advise giving this some careful consideration with a gunsmith having a lot of experience with suppressed rifles - and perhaps particularly magnums. The reason I say this is because velocity loss may not be your only concern. In the Tikka 7mm-08 referenced above, I never could get it to shoot well with a suppressor. By not shooting well, I mean 8-10" spreads at 100 yds. It was possibly a heat or harmonics problem that perhaps could've been solved by opening the barrel channel in the stock, but it was frustrating and I grew tired of fooling with it. Nothing against Tikka whatsoever - I have a T3 Lite in .308 that shoots like a dream with its barrel cut to 20" and using the same Dead Air Sandman-S suppressor. Also, plan on giving the lighter profile barrel plenty of time to cool down between shots and even more between groups.

I really enjoy hunting with suppressed rifles and I hope your project turns out well.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have killed more deer than I can remember with a 15" .308 and the only miss was 45 yard slam dunk shot which obviously was the short barrel's falt;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back