Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cot and Pad suggestions

dkmanrocks

Any suggestions on a cot and pad I should get. Looking online I see a lot of different options. My buddies and I are getting everything together for living out of a canvas tent for a week in the middle of November. We will not be backpacking in so weight is not a problem.

Thanks!

In the past we have just used a couple of military cots from a surplus store. 2 fit perfectly in our tent. Add a neo air X therm with a good bag and you'll sleep just fine

Best pad I have ever found is Klymyt Static V insulated pad. Great for side sleeping. Warm. Works on the ground or on a cot. I sleep better on it than I do at home

I spend about 40 nights a year in my canvas wall tent with my wife. We have had cots but just stayed too cold with the air under us.
Our tent has no floor. We roll out a tarp after the tent is up and keep the edges inside the footprint so rain stays out. We then use whatever we have as a pad. Some times it’s a smaller inflatable mattress but they can also be cold. Sometimes it’s just a couple 1” layers of foam. Sometimes it’s one of our nicer sleeping pads, but always on the ground. We just stay warmer that way. In all fairness, we usually only get down around 20 and not much lower, FWII .

Roll a cot is what I and a bunch of buddies use. Things I have found to stay warmer is to use a good pad and also store some of your gear under the cot to reduce the air flow underneath.

I've got some go-kots from campingcot.com that I like for tipi use because they set up really easy, and they're only 8" tall. For a wall tent I'd want a standard height cot, but still easier to set up than the military cots I have.

For cold weather use on a cot it's all about sleeping pad R value. My Thermarest Luxury Map self inflatable has an R value of 6.8 which takes me down past 0 comfortably.

Best pad I have ever found is Klymyt Static V insulated pad. Great for side sleeping. Warm. Works on the ground or on a cot. I sleep better on it than I do at home

+2 for the Klymyt Static V insulated. My wife and both swear by ours. If it keeps up warm and comfy sleeping on the ground your are gonna be just fine in a cot.
They have a promo going on now where if you buy a pad from anyone (think the current black friday sales!) you should get a rebate form for a free klymit pillow.
-Pilsner

I am also a bigger guy and have a setup I really like for tent camping. No need to buy light weight backpacking style stuff when comfort and a good night sleep are what's is needed to hunt the next day.

Cabelas outfitter XL cot and pad with accessories.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-XL-Cot-Four-Piece-Combo-with-Cot-Tree/1089990.uts

I also have the Cabelas magnum 44 sleeping bag
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...VUSCtBh20XA2XEAQYAiABEgLGq_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And I have a canvas cover on the sleeping bag.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Out...Vzh-tBh0Y2w1gEAQYASABEgLGj_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I have always gone with the military (surplus and new) because they are cheap. They are comfortable, but a real bear to set up.

Definitely get a good insulating pad, I used a lightweight (Neo-Air?) pad once and froze my butt off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back