Default Short barrel destroys accuracy?

I recently had a rifle barrel cut down 3 inches and re-crowned. I took it to the range this morning and its favorite load was printing groups of about 7 inches at 50 yards, instead of the usual 1.5 inches. This rifle has no scope, so that's not the issue. It has a peep sight. That kind of change makes me think something is really wrong. I'm going to try one other favored load tomorrow, before I call the gun smith, but has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Any thoughts? The rifle in question is a Rem 7600. Thanks!

ps. For those who commented on my last thread about the hang-fires, we cleaned out the spring and pin on that rifle and it's been flawless since. I also had the same gunsmith re-crown that rifle and it really helped. Shot a 5/8" group with the same load that was averaging about an inch before.

7 inches at 50 yards! I'd suspect that the crown job is messed up.

I would also suspect crown issues. Changing barrel length will change harmonics but you shouldn't get such a drastic difference like that.
    Life is too short for stupid dogs and ugly guns.

I’ve always heard a shorter barrel is stiffer, therefore actually more accurate. Velocity, now that’s a different story.

Changing your barrel length could result in your issues. Along with the crown.
    I've seen 10 inch difference between factory ammo and handloads at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
    Changing your barrel length could result in your issues. Along with the crown.
    I've seen 10 inch difference between factory ammo and handloads at 100 yards.
    I don't mean this in a challenging way, but tell me more. Have you experienced a huge change like this from barrel length changes?

Hard for me to imagine going from a 22 to 18 would result in 1.5 turning into 7 inch groups at 50 yards.
    I am sure you checked the front sight and the peep for any play.

My best guess is similar to others in that you might have a burr that got rolled back into the rifling when they recrowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
    I’ve always heard a shorter barrel is stiffer, therefore actually more accurate. Velocity, now that’s a different story.
    This. If it’s shooting 7” at 50 yards, you’ve got some other kind of problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

10. Default

Seem's to me at one time benchrester's went to shorter stiffer barrel's. I would suspect changing the length may have changed the harmonic's and you simply need to work up a new load. At least that's where I'd start. 1.5 to 7", wow that's is a lot!

Something is wrong with your rifle. Go back to the gunsmith.

I too would suspect an issue with the crown. Accuracy should not change that drastically just by shortening the barrel, change in velocity is another matter. also make sure the sights are tightened correctly .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Seem's to me at one time benchrester's went to shorter stiffer barrel's. I would suspect changing the length may have changed the harmonic's and you simply need to work up a new load. At least that's where I'd start. 1.5 to 7", wow that's is a lot!
    I believe that 23.5 inches is optimal barrel length for accuracy.

14. Default

Also check and see if the stock is making contact with the barrel.

Why did you decide that you needed to cut off three inches? That is not a game changer, and you obviously inherited another problem in the change. I agree that you probably got a messed-up crown job.
    You did not "seen" anything. You "saw" it.
    Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
    Member of BHA.
    Life Member NRA