Water proofing boots

Goatshoes

I intend to apply a waterproofing product to my leather boots for the first time. I imagine that they all probably have some odor to them that could be off-putting to game. Are there any products out there that I should avoid or that you recommend?

Thanks

I used to exclusively use Obenaufs. I don’t anymore because a well known boot repair shop told me it doesn’t jive well with the glues used on boot rands. After a contentious discussion with Lowa on my last pair of boots I now wear Zamberlans and only use what the manufacturer approves/recommends.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a high quality product, but the video I watched sells that it smells amazing. Is it a natural smell? Does it dissipate quickly?

I also use Obenauf's. To me it smells a little bit like honey, probably from its beeswax content. It's not an unpleasant or chemical scent. I can't smell it after the first half day of hiking after applying it.

JLS, thanks for posting the info about Obenaufs and boot glue. I hadn't heard that before and will check into that more.

I used to exclusively use Obenaufs. I don’t anymore because a well known boot repair shop told me it doesn’t jive well with the glues used on boot rands. After a contentious discussion with Lowa on my last pair of boots I now wear Zamberlans and only use what the manufacturer approves/recommends.

I may have had the same discussion with the same gentleman

Bought a butter dish size can of the Kenettrek wax and we treated both pairs of our Mountain Extereme boots.
Most likely I have done both pairs (2) full applications before we traveled last year and have at least half a jar.
This rubs on like butter.............with both pairs being brand new I cannot speak to how well they repel water.
Last year in AZ our December hunt was bone dry and back East I didn't walk through either rain or snow.

I believe that Randy did a little segment on foot care.
This stuff gets pulled in on the 1st application and the 2nd application takes a while to massage it all in.

10Dogs

I would recommend to use whatever waterproofing compound that is made by the bootmaker. When I wore Danners, I used their waterproofing gel. When I moved on to Kenetrek, I used Kenetrek boot wax, and now I use Crispi waterproofing Crème on my Crispi Hunter GTX. With the different materials and glues used by the different bootmakers, you don't want to use anything that will cause the boot to delaminate, especially when you are half way through a 10 day hunt. You have to buy something anyway, why not buy the stuff the bootmaker recommends?

As far as odor, I haven't noticed any lingering odor with any of the boot products I have used. It might have a slight odor when it is applied to the boots, but after it dries (usually within minutes), the smell is not noticeable.

Last edited:
With as much money we all spend on boots, just spend the extra $5 and use what the manufacturer recommends. It's not worth ruining a hunt over

Good points about using what the boot maker recommends but my boots were purchased about 20 years ago and are the Cabela's brand (Impressive how well they have held up). If it were recent I could probably find out who makes their boots but I think to much time has passed.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back