Yeti GOBOX Collection

Educate me on Montana Elk

aglinks

Hey all,

I am from Arizona and have been hunting here my whole life. I am very interested in hunting Montana next year so I need to figure out the best way to go about it. It looks like there is a draw as well as OTC permits. What would be the best combination (time, unit, tag type) for getting to hunt a bull in Montana?

Welcome.

There are no otc bull tags for NR that I’m aware of.

If i could pick 1 week to hunt elk it would be late Sept (archery).

Welcome to the Forum, there is a lot of info available on here thru the search function. Also, Randy has tag application videos that explains how to apply in each state if you use the YouTube link above. As far as the best time and places to go, MTGomer is right. You can also reach out to ask Greenhorn. He is really good at knowing areas that hold great bulls.

Last edited:
Welcome.

If all you want is to kill something, find a guide and pay the money.

If you want the experience, give us some details of what you like, we could help you more.

Welcome.

If all you want is to kill something, find a guide and pay the money.

If you want the experience, give us some details of what you like, we could help you more.

I really enjoy glassing elk and stalking. I prefer rifle hunting and have taken two bulls in Arizona. Last year I had a late rifle bull tag in the Cinder Hills outside of Flagstaff and I located bulls everyday and put in over 50 miles of hiking in the cinders to try to get a good shot. Ultimately, wind was not my friend so I couldn't get close enough to take a shot that I was comfortable with, but it was one of my favorite hunts because of the time I got to spend with boots on the ground. I do not want to pay a guide, I want to go find a bull on public land and do my best to earn a good clean shot. My bulls in Arizona have not been easy but they were a ton of fun. I have helped friends with hunts all over this state as well as New Mexico and have never had the luck of drawing an early rifle bull tag. Since I am out of college and bought a house I want to start putting in for different states and try to get a tag where bulls are bugling. Ideally, either my best friend or myself will draw a tag, we will load up our gear and the Montana Wall tent and spend a week or more scouting and hunting.

Montana rifle bull elk hunting is like finding a needle in a haystack. Success rates about 10%. Beautiful country.

non resident have a very good chance of drawing a statewide general tag on first try, i drew from 14,15,16 and in 17 drew a limited draw unit i had been applying for my first 3 yrs. you can apply for 3 separate units/hunts if you dont draw your first 2 choices it defaults to a general tag. example: 5000 tags reserved for non-residents. 5100 apply. all but 100 draw tags. the last 2 yrs they have had more applicants than tags. it may not be a perfect explanation but it is very close.

Maybe Montana is not where I want to be putting in then. But still, 10% across the board probably takes into account people that dont go more than 10 yards off of the road when looking for animals.

It’s the success rate of all license holders. YOUR odds are what you make them.
Killing a legal bull isn’t really that hard.
Don’t over think it.

What is the best unit in Montana for quantity of bulls? Not necessarily size.

You can also reach out to ask Greenhorn. He is really good at knowing areas that hold great bulls.

Yeah he’ll tell you right where to go. Probably even give you GPS coordinates if he’s in a good mood.

Hey Greenhorn! that would be $115 well spent...even for a used paperback book.....if it wasn't 11+yrs out of date. I want a hotspot for this yr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back