Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Educate me on Montana Elk

For most of my current spots this is a must read

"How To Elk Hunt Active Grizzly Mauling Areas"

I'm not asking for a great "spot" from you guys, I just want to know general regions. For example, nearly every elk hunter in Arizona knows that the best hunts are Units 9 and 10 early rifle bull. So when time comes to put in, most people choose one of those as first choice.

Last edited:
I thought this was a simple question with a straight forward answer but apparently it is not and I am sorry if I offended any of you guys.

I thought this was a simple question with a straight forward answer but apparently it is not and I am sorry if I offended any of you guys.

It's really not a simple question, because across the state you are going to run into the same consistent variables:

1) Access
2) Hunting pressure
3) Animal distribution due to drought, snow, etc

You have to remember of the western half of Montana is not regulated by permit. Therefore, it's nigh impossible to predict what the new hot spot is per Eastman's or Hunting Fool and what amount of pressure will accompany it.

Herd composition is available online, and will include bull to cow ratios. You can look at total elk numbers for a unit and extrapolate total bull quantity from there.

Keep in mind the total amount of elk in a unit will not be the total amount of available elk. Pretty important distinction. I'd recommend you spend a little time on the FWP website looking at elk objectives, harvest data, etc and then you will likely be able to ask some more specific questions.

We're just having fun with it

U want good quality hunting not overrun with people, with quality bulls, pick a limited draw unit and apply for a decade or so and hope for a tag.

That is pretty much what I am doing with Arizona and New Mexico. I am hoping if I do that across 3 states or so I might luck out and get a tag every three years somewhere.

Yeah, that book went out of print last year and the author is working on a new edition, I know because I have worked with the author on numerous other books and helped him get the rights back to that one. Eventually it will either be available through his website (jackballard.com), or he might possibly be licensing the content to the Montana FWP and it will be available on their website for free.

Of course this doesn't help anybody who needs the book now. If it were me I'd email the author through his website and see if 1) he has an extra copy sitting around; and/or 2) if he'd be willing to answer questions via email. Thing is, like most people he's really busy hunting right now...but he is a really nice guy so I'm sure he'll get back to you eventually...good luck aglinks.

Shit. All the hard work, and I could have just read a book. mtmuley

lol. It's a good book but pretty general, as it needs to be since it covers the whole state. But for somebody from out of state seeking info about what units to apply for tags, etc., I could see it being useful. Although most of that info is now available on the FWP site, as others have noted. That was not the case when this book originally came out years ago. Interestingly, the Helena area where I live kind of falls in between other areas in the book, and as a result most of my elk hunting areas aren't really mentioned. I guess there's no elk there.

Jack Ballard is an excellent writer though. He has a new book out called Large Mammals of the Rocky Mountains that is really an incredible reference for hunters, biologists, or anybody who really takes an interest in big game. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

There was no offense taken, but we’re joking around with you because nobody is going to post their good elk units in the www for everyone and their dog to turn up in a google search.

Between Ballard’s book and some research through go hunt insider, you should have plenty to chew on but nobody is going to cough it up for everyone to see. Hell, if someone did, the spot would suck because once every few weeks some new poster logs in and asks that question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back